Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

quick story about cats, poo, nutgrass and gravel.

Page 1 of 1
Hi all. nice forum!

at our house, at the front, under the eaves (west facing) the grass didn't really grow, especially with the drought.

So the dust was attracting the local neighbourhood cat - which needs to see a vet for some gut-medicine by the smell - pong.

So I got out there and dug it out, put in a boxed edge with some edge-planted Treated Pine sleepers hex bolted together.

I then laid weedmat and put in 20-30mm of white gravel.

We put some tall Red pots & spiky strappy green plants at the top. Never watered in their life and they are thriving in the hot western sun!

The effect is striking and beautiful! And no more cats - the gravel doesn't attract them.

however - the NUT GRASS is growing through the gravel - GRR. Before the gravel nothing grew.

Now the grass grows! Spit, fume.

So - my idea is to scrape the gravel off back into the trailer (1 - 2hours work)
and pour in a thin layer of concrete on top of the weedmat.
Then put the gravel back on top. and the pots back etc.

This would be a full days work and frustrating too.

Any thoughts as to a better way?

currently I am just pinching off the nutgrass and pulling it out every few days as it pops up.
Hi, not an expert at these things but saw at Bunnings a plastic garden edge (quite thin but tall) that you can sink into the ground behind your sleepers to form an internal barrier which should stop the grass growing through. that and the weed mat should be enough.
Related
3/12/2023
Recommendations for quick and cheap updates for the exterior

Renovation + Home Improvement

1. Roof cleaning and paint - which colour do you recommend? I often see black/ dark grey in use these days but I would prefer…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

28/12/2023
Builder for double story house in Tallawong Schofields NSW

Building A New House

We bought land in Tallawong Schofields NSW size 30m X 12.5m and planning to get double story house build around 350 sqm. We are thinking about having premium inclusions…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum