Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Help! What Herbicide to use on a 5 acre vacant lot?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Looking for some help / advice on what herbicide to apply to our 5 acre vacant lot.

We recently purchase a 5 acre plot to develop but are some way off breaking ground (council etc).

Due to all the rain it's starting to get a little overgrown.

It's covered in what I believe to be rye grass with broadleaf weeds popping up everywhere including some nasty looking thistles.

My question is what herbicide should I be applying to get the weeds under control?

I've been told to use Glyphosphate 360 but won't that kill everything?

Would a selective broadleaf herbicide like MCPA + Dicamba be better?

Any advise truly appreciated.

J
Yes, Glyphospate is non-selective and works on the Nitrogen in plants, so anything that is green, will die.

Is the area fenced? if so how good are the fences? Goats would clean it up but they are escapees too, unless tethered in which case you'd need to check them constantly. Other animals would be Ok too, but some are more selective than goats who aren't fussy eaters.

Plus, they can stock your freezer once they've cleared the grass/weeds/etc.
Thanks Allnamesrgone,

Would love some goats but alas, it's a vacant lot, so I wouldn't be around to look after any animals.

Plus I'd like to control growth quickly. Some of the thistles have grown a meter in what must be 4-6 weeks.

Herbicide is the right way forward in the short term. Maybe some goats longer term!

J
get it slashed? bit more environmentally friendly, you want some cover to prevent erosion until you build. I’ve not seen a vacant lot completely sprayed. Not sure I’d be happy if my neighbour did it.
Pulse
get it slashed? bit more environmentally friendly, you want some cover to prevent erosion until you build. I’ve not seen a vacant lot completely sprayed. Not sure I’d be happy if my neighbour did it.

If it was me and weeds were out of control with no alternative, I would use a broadleaf herbicide such as MCPA. Even though I'm not a fan of herbicides,especially if food is to be grown there, if you use something that gets rid of the weeds but not the grass, you still have soil cover
Related
5/06/2024
Help with how to remove two granite boulders on vacant land

General Discussion

I'd try posting it on airtasker. I am sure you will find someone willing do take them for a couple of hundred $

19/07/2023
Shallow lot designs

General Discussion

Would anyone on this forum know of a builder/company in Brisbane with house designs for a shallow block. I have a block 20 x 20 so with front and rear set backs I need a…

20/09/2023
Zero Lot Issue & Need Idea

General Discussion

You must be new to the internet. You're also the only person anyone here has ever heard of washing their garage wall. I hate to break it to you, there are insects and…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum