Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

rainwater tank pump

Page 1 of 1
hi we are installing a rainwater tank and pump to run our sprinkler system for our lawn. just wondering what brands of pump everyone recommends as we have had some conflicting advice on these?
thankyou
The pump you need depends greatly on what type of sprinkler heads, how many you’ll want to run at the same time, how far away they are from the pump, and elevation differences relative to the pump. Highly recommend you seek professional help from an irrigation supply.

You need to select a pump with a head curve compatible with the total head loss and flow demand. If you find a good irrigation shop that sells pumps, they will be able to look at the system's spec and advise accordingly. You also need to protect the pump and pressure controller from weather and direct sunlight but when using a protective cover, make sure that it has good cross ventilation.

As far as pump brands go, a cheaper well set up pump will last longer than a poorly set up expensive pump but check what warranty applies to any pump you look at.

You also need to avoid two major but common plumbing mistakes by adhering to the following:
1. The suction hose must respect a straight length of preferably eight internal diameters at the pump's suction end and never ever allow the suction hose to connect to a 90 degree elbow at the pump.

Hose/irrigation line also loses pressure along its length. Depending on your irrigation design (if there are multiple sprinklers), you may need to connect the main line at 1/3 and 2/3 distance along the system to more evenly distribute the water.

The video below demonstrates pressure loss along a pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSL9_eo4n8
Related
4/06/2024
New home build: Heat pump HWS instead of Rainwater tank

Building A New House

There is a difference in meaning between "available" and "connected" but the whole thing is ridiculous as the Victorian regulations bizzarely preference gas, not…

9/11/2023
Rainwater tank - screaming sound

General Discussion

Grate, thank you! RexChan if thats the reason i could sleep well without thinking about additional cost. But 1st i'll need to read about NRV cleaning/replaing stuff. I…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum