Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Re: SOAKWELLS - How easy are they to put in and install ?

Page 5 of 7
Don't join the soak well directly to the down pipe
Well, it was a crazy 3 days. Worked Sat, Sun and just finished the last 3 today. Would not want to do it for a living! Fu, where can I get a cheap ag drain? Bunnings prices are crazy! $45 for 20m or $65 with a sock! I got some geo fabric with my crates, but now I am thinking that it is getting expensive... Got 1 down pipe on a side of a house - tight spot (cannot put a crate in unless I remove 1/3 of driveway pavers)
Have a look at lex's drainage post. There is a tall narrow ag drain available. The projected outlook for climate is we will see far more heavy rain events so no matter how you feel now, when we it comes down, you'll be very glad you did it.
Hi All, I'm new to Home Reno.
Would be interested to talk to the user who built their soakwells out of tyres. Have a few questions for them before we embark on this project.
Kmax
Hi All, I'm new to Home Reno.
Would be interested to talk to the user who built their soakwells out of tyres. Have a few questions for them before we embark on this project.

Before someone else says it, DONT do it.

Your doing more harm than good. Chemicals that will leach out from the tyres will not be good for soil or the environment.
It seems such a good solution to drainage in an area that has very little access and isn't it recycling . Some of the local councils are even recommending it as an option.
Kmax
It seems such a good solution to drainage in an area that has very little access and isn't it recycling . Some of the local councils are even recommending it as an option.

To be perfectly blunt, they're wrong.

Fu help me out here :p
Ok, need some help then.
The problem is access to the area and volume of storm water. The storm water is from a large Box Gutter and a recently added extension to my home does not allow much access around the back of the house were the s/w is going, (I also have to consider a concrete pool that is in this area as well) I will have great difficulty trying to manouvering any size concrete s/w into this area. Due to the volume of water that comes from the box gutter, I think the alternative polypropylene options will not be suitable.
what about AG Pipe?
The area concerned is to be paved and I think the AG pipe and subsequent water flow will make the soil unstable/unsuitable for paving.
Interconnect the pipes from each open downpipe and bring it out to a more open area where you can put soakwells in.
There is no way using tyres would be a good idea. The chemicals they leach into the soil is not cool.
Guys, not advertising or anything, but in case anyone from Perth needs soakwells - I have 3 crate style covered in geofabric for $40 each - leftover from my project (overordered). These are superb and normally you get them for $55. PM me if interested
Sergy
I'm interested but don't need them for another 8 months or so.
Can you tell me where you got them from?
Cheers
My neighbour has a gap of 200mm to the boundary plus standard garage coloumn width.
He is doing a soakwell after driveway has been laid and fencing is on.
Is that enough of a gap to install a soakwell and well that soakwell being so close to the boundary affect the fence and both our driveway.
The depth is the only thing to worry about.
300mm plus.
Fu or anyone else, a quick question.

I need to install soakwells on the 18th/19th June and i was looking at doing it DIY through these guys:

http://www.soakwellsolutions.com.au/diy.html

My new house is in the city of cockburn and by their requirements my calculations show that i need 40 soakwell units!!

http://www.allaboutsoakwells.com/counci ... ckburn.pdf

This is going to blow my installation to over $2000. is this right?

The soakwells are poly ones : 400x450x600

Roof Cover: 335 m2

Does 40 sound right or is it overkill. from my understanding, i thought i only needed one unit per downpipe.

Is the figure higher because it is for concrete soakwells. Due to higher leaching rate of the poly soakwells would i need less of them?
have I mentioned these in any of these threads?
Flotank, flow cell?
http://www.atlantiscorp.com.au/trade-products/flo-tank

It gets no better than these. They will hold several tonne so can go under a drive. They will also allow more water out into the soil faster than any other form of drainage.
Fu what makes those ones better than the ones from soakwell solutions.

I won't be having any soakwells under driveway.

Also, is one poly soakwell per downpipe enough?
You'd be pretty under gunned. Personally I'd be using tropical guttering and 100mm down pipes. I'd be interconnecting all the flo tanks.
However not many homes have that available.

Perth is in for a hell of a change.
We will see far less rainfall (estimated to be between 30% and 60% less than now in the next 15-30 years). However we will see far greater rainfall rates. The storms of March 2010 and Feb this year will become more common however they were at the extreme end of the scale.
So it makes sense to prepare for that and think ahead.

Soakwell solutions use a whole variety of different types of soak wells.
Atlantiscorp is the producer not the supplier of flo tanks to the best of my knowledge.
Of course who ever is cheapest, but it's that style of tank/well that is what is really needed.
Related
15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

26/08/2023
Leftover Materials - Supply and Install

Building A New House

That's a fantastic result! Happy you got it sorted out. cheers Simeon

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum