Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

WREXTER's LANDSCAPING JOURNEY - PLANT PHOTOS!

Page 4 of 6
I love agave's and plan to put plenty around my place. Also love the red cordylines but they may grow too tall for the look you are trying to achieve.

Will put my thinking cap on
auds
I love agave's and plan to put plenty around my place. Also love the red cordylines but they may grow too tall for the look you are trying to achieve.

Will put my thinking cap on

I like agave but when they start getting too bug and grow off ground

I plan on having the following

Prunus Crimson Spire 'Flowering Plum'

Ficus or Magnolia little gem in pots in front of master bedroom

Not sure what to put in planter yet, buy there will need to have a a feature on the ends which will be lit up from bottom
dude that looks fantastic!! cant wait to see the plants go in
Thanks miss_petepie

Cant wait for to put in the plants and lay the turf and finally be able to see how it all turns out!

Started the waterproofing of the planter today, used the crommelins bitumen paint stuff. Excellent stuff but such a messy thing to work with, it dries quick which is good and is quite thick!

Spent 20 mins using mineral turps to get it off my skin hahaha

Its going to be tough waterproofing the back of the planter as there's not much room (i only excavated the area just enough to fit the footing :p) and the sand is everywhere. Will be able to chuck sand into the waterproofed areas in a couple of days when the bitumen paint has had time to cure.

Hoping to have the waterproofing done by the weekend so that i can get the drainage done.

Drainage is basically going to be a be a bed of blue metal behind the planter (the whole length) with an Socked slotted AG Pipe collecting water, bringing it to the frong and draining it out beneath the soil! Then more blue metal on top of that before backfilling.

The planter box/retaining wall has been a huge job but will hopefully be worth it as it will integrate the garden well with the house. The rest of the items should be a bit less hassle:

Things to do:

- Finish waterproofing planter
- Planter drainings
- Paint planter and letterbox
- Soil prep (piggypost, zeolite, bentonite clay)
- Retic and lighting
- Paving
- Turf
- Finish Turf Retic
- Planting
- Finish plant retic
- Finalise lighting
- Crack open a beer
Wrexter have you bought the ag pipe yet? Cos I still have some left over that we don't need.

Landscaping looking great, going to be amazing once done.
Hey Tinkster,

No havent bought the AG Pipe yet, will be needing about 15-20m of the 100mm slotted/socked ones.

Bunnings have 20m 100mm pipe for $77, not sure if thats a good price or not.
I've got it wrexter, that's what we paid. We used maybe 5-10m. I have the rest up in the classifieds, pretty sure I said $50 if youd like to get it outta my garage!
How many meters do you have left tinkster?
I dunno but I'll get dh to measure it tonight wrex.
Alot happening this weekend!

- planterbox waterproofing done
- planterbox drainage done
- retic controller and rain sensor installed

This weekend:

- planterbox and letterbox painting
- Retic install
- soil prep (piggypost, zeolite, bentonite)
- paving

Will update with photos soon.

In 3 week turf and plants will go in and the garden will come to life with a heartbeat!!!

Can't wait!
the plant boxes look fantastic.
tstr1a
the plant boxes look fantastic.

Certainly makes a statement!
cant wait to see the plants in the planter
Some photos for you guys, Turf install, planting and all the little bits to finish off the landscaping will be done in the next 2 weeks, its going to be hectic, i havent even decided all of the plants i want to incorporate into the landscape yet!

Planter box drainage

I placed a 100mm slotted agi pipe behind the planterbox and backfilled with blue metal for drainage, i ran the agi pip to the front of the planter where it is able to drain away excess water.

Reticulation

I designed and installed the reticulation, using the Hunter XC 6 station outdoor controller with a wireless rain sensor. The turf areas will run on MP Rotator sprinklers and the garden areas will run on sub-mulch irrigation using Netafim Techline.

Chasing wiring through the wall cavity was a pain!

Rain sensor

2 rolls of retic station wiring, shorter roll going to the front and the longer rolll going to the back, area at the base of the wall was getting paved so wires for the rear had to be supplied now.

Valve stations, using the black plastic for installtion only to keep sand out, used Irritol 2400MT Jar top Solenoid. You can just see the disc filter for the Netafim Techline.

Soil Preparation

For the turf and garden areas i mixed in:

- Zeolite (Granules) @ ~4kg per meter square
- Calcium Bentonite Clay @ ~4kg per meter square
- Piggpost Compost (1 meter cubed per 30 meters square)

1 cubic bag of Piggpost

Bentonite and Zeolite Bags

Soil additives added to turf area on left (unmixed).

Up close, zeolite (red granules), Bentonite (greyish powder), piggpost (dark compost).

Paving

I havent added soil additives to the garden bed areas yet as i wanted to mix it after paving was done.

I used the same paving as the original driveway paving, maybe one day we will upgrade to exposed aggregate, not sure yet.

Valve boxes need better re-alignment, i was in a rush to get the valves covered for pavers.

[imghttp://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2227/img1984md.jpg[/img]
Phew ... it's a lot of work isn't it?
Mclaren
Phew ... it's a lot of work isn't it?

Too much work, i cant wait to get some life and greenery into it!

Looking forward to when it all done and i can stand back and admire :p!

Did i mention, i will also be incorporating lighting as well, overboard much? haha.
Nah ... go for it!!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89/spangleann/Glamorganshire/Christmaslights1.jpg
wow - that's some progress... impressed

We are going to paint our outdoor planters/feature in the weekend. I bought the lupin mulch from Dsatco, forgon they sell piggy post... where did you get the zeolite and bentonite from?
WOW, just WOW!
wow you have done a massive job and it looks great! what turf did you get? whats your lighting going to be like?
Related
24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

30/09/2023
Indoor Plant Pots

General Discussion

Can anyone recommend a good place to order indoor…

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum