Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

TURF LAYING SUMMARY and what has become many things turf :)

Page 28 of 28
Thanks Fu again for all you're advice ! I emailed mulchnet.com and am getting 5-7m3 of green mulch delivered on Saturday. They have been great, as I was contacted by the tree contractor the day after emailing them. I'll be spreading this on all the prepared garden beds, even though there a couple of beds which won't be planted just yet. We'll be busy for the next few days. It's been hard work, but know that all our efforts will result in a sustainable and healthy garden !
Fu Manchu
First_Timer_Ray
Just wondering if anyone has successfully grown a lawn from plugs? (no, not the sink kind, the grass kind).
I know I can get Palmetto plugs at about $36 for a tray, which according to their suggestion will cover 10m2. This would work out a lot cheaper than full rolls, but will the result be compromised? How long would it take to spread and become a full lawn?

Absolutely. They grow very well from plugs

3-4 months should see a good result. Just talking with a colleague in Horticulture who has done this into a couch lawn and the buffalo has taken over. Coverage in 3 months.

Ok, that's great to know

Having never done it before, how would you ensure the end result is a flat lawn?
If you level the soil (as per prep work for turf) then plant the plugs, won't those bits be higher than the rest or will it even out? Should it all get rolled or compacted once the plugs are in like a roll of turf would? Also, can you walk over the plugs/bare patches, or is it like seeds that shouldn't be walked over for a certain period of time?
Also, is their recommendation of 5 plugs per sqm accurate?
Sorry for the 100 questions but want to get my facts right.
I wouldn't worry too much about compacting it, just firm it up and plant them. When it becomes more established, cover with a top dress of "Certified organic compost" not anything else
Just that. It will come back fine and nice and level
G’day Home-one-er’s. First time poster, long time lurker here. So if this is in the wrong thread - mods, knock yourselves out and move it.
Go a couple of questions regarding trying to eradicate that Kikuyu rubbish from my turf, if anyone can give me advice it’d be greatly appreciated.
I’ve got a patch of EZ which is roughly about 6 weeks old – and powering along. I followed much of the advice in this thread in regards to soil prep, and so far it looks to be paying off. Hoe’d in loads of goodies like zeolite, seamungus, wetting agents, dynamic lifter, blah blah blah. Have since given it regular powerfeed and seasol blends with a bit of molasses thrown in when I can get my hands on it. Fu = Sensei!

Trouble is though, all this prep has done wonders for all this other crap that I don’t want, including crabgrass and Kike. Now the crabgrass I’m aware that I’ll have to deal with until I can get it with a pre-emergent before it all germinates next spring. That’s fine, the EZ is looking like it’s doin a pretty good job outcompeting the stuff and anything that gets too big I can pull up.

My issue is the Kike (well duh). Well, putting down turf when I did, I’m not surprised the stuff is trying to get a foothold, perfect time of the year for it. It’s not taking over just yet, but it’s starting to get away from me and I’m starting to find plants with larger runners in greater numbers. My question is, will I have to suck it up and manually weed the krapkuya out until the EZ is even more established and can handle a spray to kill the kike, or would it after being down for 6 weeks be able to handle it now? Should I consider waiting until after summer and spray the kike while it’s starting to go dormant? Just trying to put together a bit of an action plan so any comments on this would be great.

Also, is there anyone who can suggest an EZ friendly Kikuya killer?

Cheers, Backdoor
Backdoor,
Last couple of post in this thread by grasstree for chems to control kik in ez.
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23653&p=633622#p633622
saturaid went down this morning. ez looking a little dry but it is a watering day so it will be fine. Very pleased with how it is coming along.
Thanks Fu for all the useful advice and help
The Empire will be a little wobbly in the first year till the roots go deeper and the soils micro organisms establish solid populations

In the years ahead though and that is what is more important, it will give you a headache free run

Lawns are not about the now

Oh and "Backdoor" the DL you put on is not normally needed. I don't suggest using it because it gives too much of a rapid foliage growth with little root system to back it up on young turf. I am more concerned with what happens under the ground than above to get a sustainable turf

As for the lush growth on the stuff you don't want, well that makes therm especially receptive to herbicides
When ever we spray something the healthier it is the better the result because they are so hungry and absorb them through the leaf and then through out the roots very fast
Make sure you haven't just mowed before spraying
The more foliage on the weed, the better
Folks I am going to draw to a close this amazing thread. It will remain a sticky but with 20 what ever pages, it is past the effectiveness it was. The same questions popping up all the time now.

So lets post new topics as a new thread and I'll keep adding the links to this thread with a topic title so we can all make more sense and research info far easier.

Remember:
Never feed the lawn, feed the soil it is growing in with organic material.
The old knowledge we are often given on turf is no longer relevant for creating and lessening the enormous impact our new landscapes have on the environment. Lets Make better soils for more sustainable turfs.
Most importantly, does that area need to be turf? There is only one thing a beautiful turf is best for that nothing else can do and that give kids a great surface to play on

Does that verge really need to be turf? Lets look to "natural" alternatives so lawns can become better and remain having a place in our landscapes
Make your new lawn and garden genuinely waterwise
Related
29/04/2024
Black tile grout become a chalky colour.

Flooring & Floor Covering

Have some black tiles in our bathroom on one feature wall laid on top of the waterproofing. What I think is efflorescence or white chalky looking grout has turned the…

21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

1/03/2024
Waterproofing slab before laying floor buttons....

General Discussion

Hey There. No problems re jumping in. My original question was "should I have waterproofed" the concrete slab before putting batons down. We have been told we should…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum