Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Raised Wicking Veggie Bed Thread - with photos

Page 3 of 5
Love it! What an awesome idea! Cant wait to get started on our veggie garden now.
I've been thinking for a while that old fridges, de-gassed and with their doors & motors removed, would make great wicking beds. We have a place here in Melbourne that refurbishes donated fridges to sell/give to people on low incomes (Phoenix Fridges). I reckon they probably have some that are beyond repair.

But I can't get past the idea of growing my vegies in plastic. Even the builder's plastic gives me the heeby-jeebies. So we are going the permaculture route, but I thought I'd post my idea just in case someone else wanted to give it a go.

e.
Lonnie,
You are getting some great results with your wicking beds there.
I came across this site when researching this topic
http://www.easygrowvegetables.com/index.html which might also be of interest.
Elizabeth
I've been thinking for a while that old fridges, de-gassed and with their doors & motors removed, would make great wicking beds. We have a place here in Melbourne that refurbishes donated fridges to sell/give to people on low incomes (Phoenix Fridges). I reckon they probably have some that are beyond repair.

But I can't get past the idea of growing my vegies in plastic. Even the builder's plastic gives me the heeby-jeebies. So we are going the permaculture route, but I thought I'd post my idea just in case someone else wanted to give it a go.

e.

Try looking at aquaponics. No pesticides or chemicals. The most water efficient means to grow your own food and it embraces many permaculture principles
Fu Manchu could you advise me on a company or person in Perth that has a personalised service that would be able to come around to my block (once we have built) to advise me on best setup for our space?
I'm very much looking forward to our vegie patch and fruit trees, but want to get it right the first time. I'm not very educated but I have collected just about every book on the planet in preparation

These photos look fantastic, very informative to so thank you for posting them.
Nirvana Landscapes, growingfree.com.au , The Garden Whisperers, sustainable outdoors.
http://www.growingfree.com.au/
http://www.sustainableoutdoors.com.au/
http://www.petercoppin.com/
Thought I'd post a couple of photos taken today:

We're onto the third rotation of lettuces.

The tomato/eggplant/capsicum bed:

At the moment we are harvesting snow peas, sugar snap peas, beans, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, lettuce, basil, parsley, leeks, spring onions, garlic chives, and 5 sorts of mint.

We're really happy with the beds, and I'm already thinking about putting some more in
A photo from yesterday:

It's been very wet and quite cool for summer, and pretty much all the herbs and lettuces have gone to seed. The cucumbers are trying to take over the biggest bed, and the zucchini, squash, snow peas, sugar snap peas and beans have just about finished cropping.

Our tomatoes are looking great, but not yet ripe (taps foot impatiently...)
Well it still looks pretty, lol. Tomatoes are by far the best part of a home garden IMO, you just can't beat that taste!

Thank you MrsGreen - here's a pic of the lovely green tomatoes that I check every day
WOW lonnie ... your veggie beds are fantastic!!!
Definitely have to subscribe to this thread and show it to hubby when we're ready to do ours.
Looking good! Thanks for the update, I've loved following this thread!
Great forum I want to post photos of my garden as I vhave just started to build it but the forum says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"
That's cool. Just start a photo sharing account as per what you'll find in the forum feedback part.

Heaps of guidance there
those beds look amazing!! soooooo keen to make them
So far it has taken me 4 days to do this on my own.
Day 1:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I used the fence to work off and nailed the posts to them

Day 2:

Day 3: I didnt take any photos as I knew it was going to be 40c and wanted to get thru things ASAP I used pond liner then scoria then getoxtile fabric then the soil

Day 4:

without capping

the end:

When I first filled it up it took forever and I thought that there was an issue but as it is 1.5 m by 3.0 m and 30cm full of socria it had quite a bit of water to take in.
That looks great! Very solid and well made.

Yes, I know the feeling when you fill it up the first time. I was sure we had a leak somewhere.

In the hot weather (with no rain) I'm having to refill the beds once every 4 or 5 days. I think it's because established plants such as the tomatoes have so much leaf surface area, and in the hot weather they are losing a higher percentage of water through their leaves.
Just thought I'd post a couple of photos, now that the tomatoes are finally ripening

Black Russians - very tasty and sweet.

Butternut pumpkin - turning gold now.

We've had cucumbers every day since Christmas, and they are just about done now. The beans and snow peas also had a very short season. We are on to the second planting of zucchini. I have a few cherry tomato seedlings ready to go in, and may get a second crop if the weather stays warm for the next couple of months.
Lonnie - that's an absolutely fantastic supply of veggies you're getting!! I'm really impressed and it shows just how much the work and prep beforehand pays off.

Well done
Hi Lonnie.

Fantastic thread. Thanks so much for the info.

Just a quick question please... Does the shorter of your 2 beds work as well as the taller one? I'm thinking of doing a bed 2 sleepers high and want to ensure that it will still give me enough reserves for the water storage/wicking thing.

Thanks.
Related
22/05/2024
backyard retaining wall and raised garden bed render

General Discussion

thanks chippy! here is the back of the wall which has not been backfilled yet. Here is the same back of the wall taken from the other end, behind the steps. As you…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum