Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Kikuyu versus the rest

Page 3 of 4
Hi all

im new to this. I have just moved into my brand new home in WA (SOR) we need to figure out the best grass i hope some of u can help. We want a low maintenance grass eg less mowing and non invasive or low invasive as we are over getting grass out of garden beds (used to have wintergreen couch) a grass that is also soft for the kids to play on. Out the front receives full sun and out the back is half and half.

What do you suggest?

Thanks
If you do a search on empire zoysia, you will find quite a lot of info on this. Also, our resident expert Fu Manchu will surely jump in here & offer advice.
Hi Thanks Southies

Yeah i think its either Empire Zoysia not sure how well it goes in WA or the Sir walter but either way the price of Empire Zoysia cost more than the Sir walter and i dont want to spend a bomb and it dies on me. and most couches as far as i know like garden beds like no tomorrow.
Grasshopper is going to say SW. I am going to say Empire
Let the arguments rage but if you read through this thread start to finish you'll know what needs to be done.

We can no longer continue to lay turf on yellow sand with some DPM under it. Significant soil prep should be used to ensure the long term sustainability of any turf. This is something supported by the water corp with it's waterwise training initiatives for landscapers and the public.

Empire for me has always been great. A bit wobbly in the first year but with the right soil care and prep it rewards you in the time following. Less mowing, less maintenance costs. Edging is still needed but getting it out is nothing like the horrid couch!!!!! This is a turf that can make a difference to our resources. If we all had it, we'd know exactly what it needs and we'd have more water in our dams and ground water supply. That is what matters.

With SW or Pal the right soil prep ensures a better lawn too but I get disappointed with the long term appearance of the buffalos in winter and early spring. Every turf will have pros and cons but the Zoysia uses less of everything.

Do it cheap, do it twice as they say
Yep, Fu is right, I recommend SW
Fu Manchu
Grasshopper is going to say SW. I am going to say Empire
Let the arguments rage but if you read through this thread start to finish you'll know what needs to be done.

We can no longer continue to lay turf on yellow sand with some DPM under it. Significant soil prep should be used to ensure the long term sustainability of any turf. This is something supported by the water corp with it's waterwise training initiatives for landscapers and the public.

Empire for me has always been great. A bit wobbly in the first year but with the right soil care and prep it rewards you in the time following. Less mowing, less maintenance costs. Edging is still needed but getting it out is nothing like the horrid couch!!!!! This is a turf that can make a difference to our resources. If we all had it, we'd know exactly what it needs and we'd have more water in our dams and ground water supply. That is what matters.

With SW or Pal the right soil prep ensures a better lawn too but I get disappointed with the long term appearance of the buffalos in winter and early spring. Every turf will have pros and cons but the Zoysia uses less of everything.

Do it cheap, do it twice as they say

Hi Fu

Yeah this Empire Zoysia is what i thought was for us until i saw a friend in willetton which isnt that far away from i live in canning Vale and she has that grass and its real patchy and horrible she wishes she didnt get it now. Its in full sun. I heard that it doesnt like shade or winter much?
What sort of soil should u put down with eg sir walter or the empire zoysia and how much of it and should u mix it in with ur soils?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21938

Thanks Fu

you wouldnt happen to be a landscaper and a reticulation guy would u? hahaha
Empire doesn't like shade or winter.
But, with the best preparation, after a wobbly start (1 year), it will require a bit less mowing than SW/Pal.
Or, you can put down SW/Pal that will be more 'idiot proof' initially and survive the shade when your beautiful shade trees grow to cool your kids play area and house, they'll probably even recover better after wear if your family become a footy team and give your lawn a hard time.
Food for thought
EZ is a nicer looking finer grass though. Maybe a compromise SW in the backyard with the kids & shade trees. And EZ in front for a nice formal lawn that needs far less effort to keep neat and tidy.
No I was talking more planting the two in each area. Not sure what would give the best results in the long term though? cut each roll in half and lay alternate varieties. They would blend into a checker board pattern for what would be the first year and a half and after that I'd imagine they'd blend very well through each other. Or maybe cutting the rolls in half length ways and laying thinner strips of each variety?
Related to the thread title;

http://www.villagegreenturf.com.au/About.aspx

Fu and Grasshopper do you know much about this "new" kikey thing village green.

Apparently developed in WA and Lilydale turf in Melb reckon its the ducks for staying green through winter.
I only know of it but not about it. No doubt we will learn more. It has been discussed in my circles. I would imagine that UWA would be the ones trialling this turf.
Thanks Fu,

Might chuck a roll or two in and see how it goes then.
What would be the best lawn for toughness. I have a dog that likes to run around and at my folks place there lawn got pretty damaged by the same dog. I was thinking SW for this?...
look all the most common turf varieties will be the toughest. It also depends on your location. The other factor that effects a turfs ability to be "tough" is the level of soil prep and continued organic care after it has been laid. This will ensure a far tougher turf because using less or no fertiliser on a domestic lawn will mean the cells of the turf will be thicker, the roots will be far deeper and the soils ecology will be at it's best and further enhancing the turfs ability to quickly recover from stress.

Your in Perth so my call is Empire Zoysia but it does take ages to establish. Once established it will leave others for dead.

If you want something else then yes Sir Walter is fine provided you follow good soil prep as I said and so will Palmetto to be fair. Couch is very tough also. Couch is cheap, very expensive to maintain and will be even tougher in your garden beds no matter what you do to contain it. Kike is well known to be tough in heavier soils but is very invasive in the sandier soils. It is used mostly on council sport grounds and public parks here in WA.
Depends on how big the dog is, they use kike at Flemington for the Melbourne cup
a little more serious though, as Fu said they are all pretty much hard wearing just depends on wether you go cheaper and have couch or kikuyu as a ground cover in your garden beds.
Hi fu

Can you help me. My hubby at work has a mate who is giving us some grass seeds. All the info I have is that it is a grass
he said it doesnt run
u plant 1 seed then that grows
if u cut it, it will split into 2
and u will have 2 shoots

its called Jump Up

I cant seem to find any info on it at all

Thanks Kelly

any help would be greatly appreciated
Related
16/01/2024
Now It's 0.3mm Gap For Double Glazing. It beats all the rest

Windows & Doors

This is one of the reasons I decided to go overseas for my double glazed windows. As the builder indicated, he's worked on many upmarket builds, these were the most well…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum