Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Is this quote reasonable??

Page 2 of 2
StructuralBIMGuy
ayaman
. For example, the motorised vergola is a 'nice to have', but at $25,000, we can find something cheaper. I'll be interested to see how much I can cut down without compromising too much on quality and what we want. This is the forever home, no plans to sell, so it's truly about doing it for us. We work our bums off and would love to create ourselves a little oasis to come home to!

Ha..ha...ha..Now I've seen it all
Here are budget Automatic Louvre Pergola
hth

Alibaba?? Are you insane!?
BIMGuy- your comments are neither helpful, constructive or respectful. Thank you for taking the time to post, but feel free to move on to another thread. As I look at some other threads you've been part of, I can see that being sarcastic and getting a rise out of people is generally what you do here, I wish I had the same amount of time on my hands as you seem to have. Unfortunately, I do not. Going back and forth with nasty comments is not generally how I like to spend my time on this forum, so this will be the only response I will make to you. Please go and "bite" elsewhere.
The thing about pools is you can spend 50k or 600k ( or more even) there is such a range of what you can do. I guess like houses 400k or 50mil:):)

I like this concept:)

https://youtu.be/jIhrdL8pG2U

HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!!!
Have your pool, but keep the usable space!!! LOVE IT!!!! I like how you think!!! hahha
ayaman
StructuralBIMGuy
ayaman
. For example, the motorised vergola is a 'nice to have', but at $25,000, we can find something cheaper. I'll be interested to see how much I can cut down without compromising too much on quality and what we want. This is the forever home, no plans to sell, so it's truly about doing it for us. We work our bums off and would love to create ourselves a little oasis to come home to!

Ha..ha...ha..Now I've seen it all
Here are budget Automatic Louvre Pergola
hth

Alibaba?? Are you insane!?
BIMGuy- your comments are neither helpful, constructive or respectful. Thank you for taking the time to post, but feel free to move on to another thread. As I look at some other threads you've been part of, I can see that being sarcastic and getting a rise out of people is generally what you do here, I wish I had the same amount of time on my hands as you seem to have. Unfortunately, I do not. Going back and forth with nasty comments is not generally how I like to spend my time on this forum, so this will be the only response I will make to you. Please go and "bite" elsewhere.

Frankly speaking, this particular Alibaba vendor (Dongguan) is highly credible.

But they can only supply pergola itself and the equipment, not very customisable on colours, etc. you would still need to install it by yourself.

Probably the better option will be to Google up Austrlian vendors - there is a dozen of them, using different technology etc., I am sure you will be able to get some decent quotations if you spend a day or two on it.
With regards to the original question, you can always consider breaking into separate jobs and getting quotations per job from individual vendors (e.g. concreters, fence installers, planters, electricians etc.) to get understanding of whether provided quotations make sense or not.

From what I see, you can probably save around 30K (landscaper's margin) straight away if you spend couple of days on the phone and manage vendors this way. If you source your own materials etc., you could probably save even more.

But the final choice is always yours.
alexp79
With regards to the original question, you can always consider breaking into separate jobs and getting quotations per job from individual vendors (e.g. concreters, fence installers, planters, electricians etc.) to get understanding of whether provided quotations make sense or not.

From what I see, you can probably save around 30K (landscaper's margin) straight away if you spend couple of days on the phone and manage vendors this way. If you source your own materials etc., you could probably save even more.

But the final choice is always yours.

Thank you for that Alex, that's a great idea. I hadn't thought of breaking it down and getting individual prices. I'll definitely look into that.
As for Alibaba, I won't be purchasing anything from there for this project. I'd much prefer an Australian made product of which, as you said, I'm sure to find a few options with a bit of research. Thanks again for your comments 😊
Hey when you actually start doing it all, can you do a thread please
I'm super keen to follow along.
cat_dunc
Hey when you actually start doing it all, can you do a thread please
I'm super keen to follow along.

Absolutely! I cant wait to see it all come together!
Just imagine the cost of the hidden pools, eye watering dollars, loved the lawn one personally.

ayaman
Hi All,
We are just completing a new build and have received this quote from a reputable landscaper. It's the only quote I have so far just wanted your opinions on it- does it seem reasonable? Keep in mind it's full landscaping of back and front. I've also attached the design.
Thanks!

the quote does look over priced. I am sure if you do get few more quotes you will get 20 to 40k cheaper quotes from other landscapers. that does not necessarily mean bad landscapers, its just the margin of profit this guy wants to make from you is insane.

However looking at your comment it seems like you are trying to defend the cost and justify that you dont mind spending this money on this landscaper In that case there was no point of asking this question her, you can spend whatever amount you want on whoever, give them extra profit and get a peace of mind in that way!
Hi Faykis thanks for your comment. Little inaccurate though! Where people have been able to constructively point out specific areas where the quote is overpriced eg: garden lighting, pergola etc, I've been able to sit with the landscaper and discuss specific items. He's been only too happy to source cheaper options or have me source cheaper options. We have changed quite a few items since I last posted, which has made a significant difference to the price.
As stated, I'm clueless when it comes to knowing what things should cost, hence my post to get more experienced landscapers and customers to help. The people who have posted have helped me immensely.
If you have had experience with landscaping costs etc and can see a specific item in the quote that is way too high, please let me know. I will be finalising the quote next week and any info would be helpful.
Hi Ayaman,

Love the design and I think it's going to come up fantastically. One thing that stands out to me tho is that there is a high charge for plants and shrubs, but I actually don't see many plants or shrubs (or trees for that matter). Check the costings on those.

That might be the way you want it, but one thing I regret about it front yard is that it's too much of a concrete jungle and needed much more softening of the hard surfaces (which I have since tried to address) and for that reason, the backyard is going to be a real garden focused on trees, shrubs and perennials. Could you put a large feature tree on the front lawn? Jacaranda or the like? (or something that doesn't drop so many flowers if you're worried about that).

I think the overall price is obviously high end, but I can see why given the breakdown of the works being done, and getting a quality finish. As others have mentioned, please do a thread for your landscaping once it begins!
cinder
Hi Ayaman,

Love the design and I think it's going to come up fantastically. One thing that stands out to me tho is that there is a high charge for plants and shrubs, but I actually don't see many plants or shrubs (or trees for that matter). Check the costings on those.

That might be the way you want it, but one thing I regret about it front yard is that it's too much of a concrete jungle and needed much more softening of the hard surfaces (which I have since tried to address) and for that reason, the backyard is going to be a real garden focused on trees, shrubs and perennials. Could you put a large feature tree on the front lawn? Jacaranda or the like? (or something that doesn't drop so many flowers if you're worried about that).

I think the overall price is obviously high end, but I can see why given the breakdown of the works being done, and getting a quality finish. As others have mentioned, please do a thread for your landscaping once it begins!

Hi Cinder,
Thanks for that! I can't wait to see it done!! Yes- the original design had a lot more shrubs and plants and we pared it back, but forgot to adjust the quote. That has since been rectified. We originally had a beautiful Japanese Maple tree out the front, but hubby is sadly adverse to trees, so concrete jungle it is!:-x Personally, I would love more trees. Your backyard sounds amazing, I'd love to see pics! I will definitely start a thread once we begin. So exciting!! Thanks so much for your comments.
That's ok. I get it. You could even put in a small tree like a crepe myrtle. Trees can add a nice depth. Anyway I'll shut-up now - it's your garden! (and very unlikely to be a concrete jungle - you have a pool!
) On my thread you can see photos of the finished front landscape. Once the backyard is done, I will add some more
Related
29/11/2023
Extension cost - $3500/m2 reasonable?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Seems good to me. I've been told $4-5k/sqm is reasonable in Perth.

8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! 😊 so, it’s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum