Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Is this the case of groundwater?

Page 2 of 2
insider
Yes they insert a inflatable bladder that blocks a section of pipe and flood it up stream of the bladder and measure the drop
if any in the water level.
Usually a builder is paying when I see it so not sure of the costs maybe be a hourly situation but it won't be cheap unfortunately.

Hrmm interesting I see, is there anything I can buy or make to block it, any ideas ?
Look on line you can buy the equipment yourself
insider
Look on line you can buy the equipment yourself

found lots of suppliers overseas but not many in AU..
SaveH2O
MSK
I've just disconnected my downpipes and rediverted them into containers some varying between 100L to 200L only 3 downpipes rediverted so that stormwater branch won't be in use. Just so I can know 100% if it's the pipes or not.

Your downpipes appear to be 100mm x 50mm rectangular and your gutters appear to be slotted quad that will have a cross sectional area of about 5,200 sq mm. Just be aware that for a standard 22.5 degree roof pitch and your area's 1:20 Average Recurrence Interval (ARI), your maximum compliant roof space (flat plan area not factored...X 1.21 for 22.5 degrees...to the slope for wind driven rain) serviced by each downpipe will be about 38 sq m. If the house is built to be roof drainage compliant (most are not), your downpipes would typically be servicing (unfactored) roof areas of about 35 sq m. You will need to go outside and empty the 100L containers otherwise they will overflow after only 3mm of rain.

How about if I was to temporarily redivert those downpipes using a 65mm unslotted coildrain, I'm able to divert one downpipe using the coildrain to the legal point of discharge, the other two downpipes will have to rediverted to the other stormwater branch.

I guess this will be my last possible way to find out for certain it's not the stormwater drain.
What happens when it rains, does it flood next to the path and then spread out?
SaveH2O
What happens when it rains, does it flood next to the path and then spread out?

It doesn't pool up against the edge of the path unless there is heavy rain. Sunday afternoon it rained but it didn't pool up it just ran off towards to the fence.

Here is a photo of Sunday afternoon when it rained. The
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_y5Cx ... p=drivesdk

I've also noticed when the trench is filling up after I've scoped the water out it runs into the trench from one side only.

Right now I don't have the CCTV photo of a section of the pipe which was was not graded correctly maybe about 700mm length there was sediment in the pipe. The camera couldn't see in it due to the water and silt. It wasn't alot but maybe around 2-3cm of slit and water. Plumber advised could be a crack beneath it but he couldn't see. He didn't do the hydro jet because he said it would become flooded more and the camera won't be able to see through the 2-3cm of water.

Red circle is where the pipe has sediment and water.

This is the direction of water flowing into the trench comes in from the bottom along the pipe.

MSK
This is the direction of water flowing into the trench comes in from the bottom along the pipe.

Is that from the house or fence side?

The sediment in the pipe will be from the roof. Sediment requires a minimum flushing velocity of 0.7 metres per second but Melbourne's rainfall pattern doesn't deliver the required amount of water to generate that velocity 95% of the time.

A 2-3cm dip along one section of pipe is quite a lot though...not really impressed if there is that much.
It's from the house side.
What happened to the video you posted?
SaveH2O
What happened to the video you posted?

This is the video.

This is where the hot water service was the plumber removed the slab and dug down to find the stormwater drain. Same scenario water beside the pipe.

I would have to see it on site but my gut feeling is that the water has followed the horizontal pipe's trench which I assume has a sand base. If it was a mains water pipe, the meter would have registered it but it hasn't.

Does that water run all of the time...even during days of no rain?
SaveH2O
I would have to see it on site but my gut feeling is that the water has followed the horizontal pipe's trench which I assume has a sand base. If it was a mains water pipe, the meter would have registered it but it hasn't.

Does that water run all of the time...even during days of no rain?

Nope water only runs into the trench when it's raining after the rain stops I scoop it out every hour and until its clear. I think I removed about 30litres once in a day that cleaned the trench from water until it rained again.

Could be a poor pvc cement connection ?

Looks like I'm out of ideas and time I might have to pay for someone to come test the pipe, whats the most effective method I should get them to do? flooding the pipe, smoke testing or some sort of pressuring? I believe another user mentioned flooding or pressurising the pipe.
I did go back to the builder they are trying to shift the blame on my concreter that I hired after handover to do my concrete.

They did say they would get someone to look at it but haven't heard from anyone yet.

Since I hired my own contractor to do the concrete do I have a leg to stand on ? The concreters only used a wheelbarrow to transport the crushed rock and concrete?
MSK
Nope water only runs into the trench when it's raining after the rain stops

Could be a poor pvc cement connection ?

Looks like I'm out of ideas and time I might have to pay for someone to come test the pipe, whats the most effective method I should get them to do? flooding the pipe, smoke testing or some sort of pressuring? I believe another user mentioned flooding or pressurising the pipe.

I am still very much in doubt that it is the pipe but if it is, it will usually be at a fitting. The pipe is a snug fit in the fitting even when solvent cement isn't used (I am not suggesting that it hasn't been used) and because the pipes don't flow full of water, any leakage would only be from the bottom. If the pipe was damaged by the concreter, then the damage would most likely be at the top and not applicable.

The easiest way to see whether it is the pipe is to pour dyed water into it. You don't need to pour a lot in to test for a leak at the bottom.

The soil area is smaller then the path, there is no vegetation and it is not exposed to the sun. Saturated soil takes time to drain and this results in flooding. Why didn't you do a full impermeable cover with drainage, did you have a plan for the soil area?
MSK
I did go back to the builder they are trying to shift the blame on my concreter that I hired after handover to do my concrete.

So.....the builder is blaming the concreter without even knowing the cause of the flooding!
Is there a regulation on how close an AGI pipe can be laid to the foundations that requires an engineer to sign off on ?

I was going through my soil report it advised not to lay any AGI pipes 1500mm from the foundations unless specified by an engineer, the issue is my neighbours garage foundation is on the boundary.
It would depend on the zone of influence, you must follow an engineers recommendations.
Just an update.

I diverted the downpipes so the stormwater does not flow into the stormwater drainage pipe which I directed them to another branch. My trench did fill up with water even that I had covered a large section of the area with builders plastic.

It's simply rain surface water seeping into the soil and laterally moving into the fill area.

I guess I need to asses what will work better for me to concrete it with strip drains or lay aggi drains.
If thats the case then concrete paving correctly drained will solve the problem
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum