Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Fast growing screen plant/hedge - NOT pittosporum?

Page 2 of 2
KerryF, from my experience, and from other people i know that have the most popular var. acmena smithii, they take years to establish and then they put on the 1m plus growth that is widely promoted. They also get hammered in the hot (40 degree) notherlies and all the nice red new growth gets burnt. They are a sub tropical plant and as such the growth is far slower this far south. Once they get growing they are great but still get burnt around the city and inner/middle burbs.
Ah, **. Advertising huge growth but not saying it takes that long to establish!

The ones I know of in this road, a huge hedge of about 10m and a tree of 20m, both are fully exposed to sun and northerly winds, but it doesn't seem to cause them problems. The other, smaller ones of about 1.5m, are south facing and need to be trimmed regularly. Perhaps because in Belgrave we also get lots of rain?
It's only the new growth that is affected, i.e. the red coloured leaves, the mature green leaves don't burn unless its 45 degrees (like most plants). So if it's a well maintained hedge a lot of the new growth would be clipped off regularly hence be less affected by heat. You would probably get a bit faster growth around the ranges where there is more rainfall.
How about Dodonaea viscosa?
I have planted this along my driveway as a screen from my neighbours. I trim it regularly (does not take long) to encourage thick bushy growth. My have grown very quickly. I think it's a great hedge and screen that's why I chose it. I also have a single specimen growing tall in the back corner of my backyard to screen the back neighbours.

Dodonaea viscosa "Purpurea", turns beautiful burgundy in Winter
with the summer lime of the leaves it's lovely.

Dodonaea viscosa purpurea
Evergreen Shrub

Common name(s): Purple Hop-Bush
Family Sapindaceae
Origin New Zealand
Approx. height: 3 m
Approx. width: 3 m
Preferred position: Sun/Part Shade
Flower colour: Brown
Flower season Spring
Water requirement Low
Frost tolerant: Yes
- Suitable for hedge
- Fast growing
- Fire retardant
Description: Dodonaea viscosa purpurea is a very popular an sought after shrub for hedges as well as specimen plants. Fast growing with beautiful, copper-coloured leafs.

Cultivation: Likes a well drained soil and will tolerate dry conditions. Regular tip pruning will promote growth and a bushy habit.

Info taken from this w/site :http://www.cradocnursery.com.au/plants/Dodonaea-viscosa-purpurea.shtml

Another Link:
http://anpsa.org.au/APOL27/sep02-1.html

(edit - added more info)
BeatrixKiddo
var. acmena smithii, they take years to establish and then they put on the 1m plus growth that is widely promoted.

As you probably know, there are many cultivars of A Smithii; as an example, I have Allyn Magic, which has formed a dense hedge 1m high after 2 years, and shows no signs of wanting to go taller (although I clip it to keep it dense). I'm using another cultivar, Hot Flush, that is rated to 4m for a hedge between my driveway and a neighbour and will keep it trimmed to 3m (it's been in 9 mths, and so far is only 0.5m tall as I've been trimming monthly it to keep it dense). I have a Syzygium Reliance (larger leave compared to the Acmena) which has grown to 1m tall in 12 mths, in spite of regular trimming, to hide my neighbour's shed.

But I'm in Sydney, which may account for the difference.
PHL, what's the botanical name for Syzygium Reliance?
I like the fruit on the Dodonaea viscosa - looks really pretty
PHL
BeatrixKiddo
var. acmena smithii, they take years to establish and then they put on the 1m plus growth that is widely promoted.

As you probably know, there are many cultivars of A Smithii; as an example, I have Allyn Magic, which has formed a dense hedge 1m high after 2 years, and shows no signs of wanting to go taller (although I clip it to keep it dense). I'm using another cultivar, Hot Flush, that is rated to 4m for a hedge between my driveway and a neighbour and will keep it trimmed to 3m (it's been in 9 mths, and so far is only 0.5m tall as I've been trimming monthly it to keep it dense). I have a Syzygium Reliance (larger leave compared to the Acmena) which has grown to 1m tall in 12 mths, in spite of regular trimming, to hide my neighbour's shed.

But I'm in Sydney, which may account for the difference.

Yep I know there are heaps of a. smithii, the main one sold for tall hedging down here is smaller leaf full tree culitvar. It is heavily promoted to screen your neighbours out fast. They are a nice plant but not that quick. Sydney is 1000km closer to the lily pilly's hometown than melb so as you said I think that has a lot to do with its growth.
Anyhow as I said in my experience I find them slow and easily damaged by heat it's certainly not the case for all Lilly pilly's and locations. Being slow doesn't mean bad either.
Lex
PHL, what's the botanical name for Syzygium Reliance?

The tag just says it's a selection of Syzygium Aussie Southern, which is no information at all. It's one of the psyllid resistant Syzygium (which are usually less resistant than Acmena).
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43086
Related
1/06/2024
South facing garden - growing grass

Landscape & Garden Design

Help!! I’m meant to start building soon and have only really just learnt about orientation. Im reading so much that no grass will grow on the heavily shaded south…

30/09/2023
Indoor Plant Pots

General Discussion

Can anyone recommend a good place to order indoor…

4/11/2023
How to remove the security screen (A&L windows)?

Windows & Doors

You have no photo with your post. Best I can say is to remove an A&L flyscreen don't be afraid to distort the frame almost like a trapezium. It doesn't take a lot of…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum