Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Château TDL: The Backyard Chapter...the rains have come!

Page 2 of 4
yard is looking great . Good news on the extension plans. Does son still have enough pathways for his ride on? I guess he can ride from the boardwalk to the cubby and around. That's not too bad.
Love that you have broken up your yard into lots of areas. Lots of colour, texture and different , interesting things to look at.
Look forward to the next photo shoot. Keep them coming please.
Oh wow!! What an awesome back yard!!
sexykexy
Does son still have enough pathways for his ride on?

Yeah...kiddo has a brand spanking new 20+ metre by 2.5 metre concrete area where he does his top gear slalom challenge and that leads out onto about a third of the block width by the depth of the backyard which is unobstructed. The "formal" paths will be granitic sand and therefore rideable although the bird path may become a roundabout

lisanne also with a Chateau
Oh wow!! What an awesome back yard!!

Ta...!
it looks ssssooooooo cool Mike!!
I want to play in it !!!

You have done a great job
Beautiful Mike, well done
look forward to the next round of photos...
do_What_list
Yeah...kiddo has a brand spanking new 20+ metre by 2.5 metre concrete area where he does his top gear slalom challenge and that leads out onto about a third of the block width by the depth of the backyard which is unobstructed. The "formal" paths will be granitic sand and therefore rideable although the bird path may become a roundabout

Lol sounds awesome.

Noted and raised..
Yours was better though.
Well it’s been a while since I updated this thread…you know where the before photos are so here’s the latest…

The backyard is pretty much done except for the planting a bit of cosmetics, I ended up getting a landscaper to help me with the major stuff, I found a goodun’ who works locally and was reasonable with his rates. More importantly he was thorough, honest, hardworking, and reliable.

So the backyard from the deck…imagine the three photo’s as almost a 180 degree view. Most of his work is in the third picture where he’s built an L-shaped planter, ¼ circle of paving, and a frame for an espalier/fruit/climber. The toppings are a bit stark but I intend to plant trees, grasses and ground covers into them to break up the edges.

Palmetto grass for those interested…getting lusher by the day. The yellow patch is from a lot of traffic around to the side. I had two slimline tanks put in.

Closer view of the L-shape…imagine two seats and a table

This is a utility area behind the shed…I was going to park the trailer here but it’s too bloody nice…I wanted a hard stand area with some old red bricks in stretcher pattern but he said it would be just as easy to do it round (no extra). So imagine some big rectangular planters and voila another 3 x 3.5 m outside room…

Another planter around the cubby to create a play area…with lemon tree in foreground planter which is at a lower level…

The main feature is getting there…needs some more plants around it to get the dry river bed look really right…

Just what I thought was a nice short towards the back of the house…

The weatherboard parts of the house have changed color…from a reddy cedary color to Paperbark to give the house a lift…

He also neatened the front as well…got rid of the mangy grass that was never going to have a future and the landscaper built a low wall. Always like to define the property boundary…and the nature strip back to toppings for later planting.

So before…

and after…which a great deal of pruning as well…

The unseen work is a complete dripper system through the front and back which can be operated automatically either off mains or through one of either two sets of tanks (I’ve got 13,000 litres in storage), and sprinklers for the grass again off the tanks.

So the fun stuff left, planting and maintaining and a hopefully enjoying.
Looks great. I love the dry creek bed!
Wow that's looking really terrific TDL. Very impressed. Love the total change to the front too just from removing the lawn and tidying it up. it looks completely different now.
It's great to see the progress - huge changes in a relatively short time. Looking good!
Wow TDL!! You must be soooo happy with it all, it looks fantastic
It looks amazing! must be so nice to sit on your patio and look out on it.
I always love before and after photos ! Very very cool! The dry creek bed is my favourite. Ive seen some very similar ones in garden design magazines lately.. done right they look fabulous. Wish I could convince the OH that they are a feasible option hehe

Job well done !
Absoloutely fantastic! What a great job you have done!!
thanks for the update tdl, it all looks absolutely gorgeous, your DSes must love it out there. I agree, that lovely circular paving is much too pretty to park a trailer on
This is a wonderful backyard. really inspirational to see before and afters!. Congrats on a fantastic job, you must be so proud.
(the front yard is gorgeous too)
That looks truly FANTASTIC, it really is great!!!
Looks great, even better that you did alot yourself, nothing more satisfying that sitting back knowing what effort went into the beauty you can now see.

Gotta get by backyard in order.... so much to do!
Wow..I'm really impressed. When you're done I have a whole yard that needs doing
ooooooo
fabulous tdl
I want the cubby
Related
21/06/2023
Dry Well in the backyard

Landscape & Garden Design

It's possible but a soak well is usually much larger. Your 'soak well' only holds 424 litres when full. What is your soil type? Soak wells need sandy soils.

11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum