Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

My vegie garden and backyard

Page 8 of 14
not a huge fan of tomatos by themselves but damn they look sooooo healthy and yum! the sauce would be amazing. well done
You've inspired me!!!! Cant wait till next summer!
Good job! I too have made my own tomato sauce with my own home grown tomatoes. I boiled my jars with the lids done up tight. Does this make a diffrence to the way you have done it?
You should also invest in one of these (ive got the red plastic one):
http://www.costanteimports.com/product. ... egory_id=8
Thanks guys!

Fredstar i have a food mill already which i used to puree the tomatoes, I think it's just a different design to the one you linked to.

Not sure if having them done up or not makes a difference - did yours still Pop and vacuum seal?
I've just spent about $80 buying organic vegie seeds from www.edenseeds.com.au !! They should get me through a few years worth of growing stuff all year around - very excited!!
I'm also looking forward to building more vegie beds and possibly garden beds and pathways over easter, although the garden beds out the back will also be mostly vegies too
Well done! Keep us posted on your progress - I can't wait to get into our new house and get our vegie garden started - you're an inspiration!
Just love that you had hardly any coin left to do the garden how you want after the build, but with some resourceful thinking you are growing your own food and doing it well. How many others could be doing that but instead stare at a barren back yard? Must be loads. Growing your own food starts with a spade in the ground and some seeds from friends or even the veggies you buy at the shop
The money it will save on the grocery bill will be huge and you will feel much better for it

Lisanne, bloody top job
Ok so it's time to get the rest of my backyard into shape for vegies in a few weeks times. I plan to make a pathway through the middle and either side will be all garden beds which will mostly be for vegies. I need to improve the soil out there and along with digging in Zeolite which would be the best combination of the following 3 items to dig through the soil. I'm also going to be watering in powerfeed
Also, the area is about 4x10m so how many bags would I need??

see the difference in those products!
1st is The Naked Farmer "Soil Activator" (In non marketing terms it's just bloody compost) very high carbon content which is seriously good

2nd says Organic but has about 5 trade marks on there for various chemicals that do stuff. Seriously why???? Not certified organic and highlights the point I often make, look for the Organic certification. This doesn't have one but they are allowed to say "Organic"
3rd has the all important BFA certification that ensures it doesn't have 15 different fertilisers, additives, chemicals that supposedly make your day pleasure not that don't workbut that we can do better with certified organic composts. Picture of a Frog makes you all warm and fuzzy about doing the right thing. A very powerful marketing tool
Froggies on the bag, it must be good... not always
but in this case yes
For west aussies, I don't suggest the use of the bottom one due to the poultry content. Also the chook poo makes everything get a solid growth spurt so you feel it is just so amazing, things can fall a bit flat in time to come though.

You just need the Naked Farmer of all those. Use Perlite if you are on a budget but if you can zeolite as well, that to is excellent to invest in
Lisanne will you be refreshing existing beds or creating new ones?
I'd be dumping 1/2 a cube of compost into a spot like that. That is half a trailer load. Who in Vicco does bulk compost that are cert organic?
BAAG? Not sure.

You'd be needing 20 bags otherwise!
http://www.baag.com.au/?page_id=241

BAAG
Certified Organic Compost

100% Organic Compost
Certified Organic Compost contains plant matter that has been decomposed naturally. It is rich in nutrients and helps improve impoverished soils, as well as helping to retain moisture. Certified organic compost is suitable and safe for use with natives.

http://www.baag.com.au/?page_id=268
Thanks Fu!!

Fu Manchu
Lisanne will you be refreshing existing beds or creating new ones?

Refreshing really, I want to refresh all the soil I got brought in originally from BAAG when I moved in, now I want to turn it into proper garden beds so I just want to improve it.

Fu Manchu
I'd be dumping 1/2 a cube of compost into a spot like that. That is half a trailer load. Who in Vicco does bulk compost that are cert organic?
BAAG? Not sure.

You'd be needing 20 bags otherwise!

That's what I was starting to think actually, might be cheaper! I can't tow that much but other family members can, now to see if they will....
Much cheaper.
I planted my first lot of seeds. I will do some more in another week or two as well to stagger the planting/harvesting.

Tray 1
Beetroot - Melbourne early slowbolt Beetroot - Melbourne early slowbolt Broccoli Albert Brussel Sprouts - Long Island Cabbage - Savoy Drumhead Cabbage - Savoy Drumhead
Beetroot - Melbourne early slowbolt Broccoli Albert Broccoli Albert Brussel Sprouts - Long Island Cabbage - Savoy Drumhead Broccoli Albert

Tray 2
Cauliflower - All year round Cauliflower - All year round Leek - Carentan Leek - Carentan Onion - creamgold Onion - creamgold
Cauliflower - All year round Leek - Carentan Leek - Carentan Onion - creamgold Onion - creamgold Onion - creamgold

Tray 3
Shallots - Straight Leaf Shallots - Straight Leaf Spinach - Giant Nobel Sugarsnap Pea - Climbing Sugarsnap Pea - Climbing Onion - creamgold
Shallots - Straight Leaf Shallots - Straight Leaf Spinach - Giant Nobel Sugarsnap Pea - Climbing Sugarsnap Pea - Climbing Onion - creamgold

I hope they work!!! I've never planted from seed before
I was thinking of buying one of those mini shade house thingys……well done Lisa!
Love the egg cartons for your seed beds.
Michelle
I was thinking of buying one of those mini shade house thingys……well done Lisa!
Love the egg cartons for your seed beds.

Thanks Michelle! I got the greenhouse from Erin and Aaron. I hope the egg carton theory works! Like I said I've never done this before so it's a big learning curve!!
lisanne
I hope the egg carton theory works! Like I said I've never done this before so it's a big learning curve!!

It will work….its been done for a very long time, just make sure you keep them watered.

Oh and by the way, you can plant into the other side of the carton, or just cut that side off.
Sweet, thanks Michelle! I wasn't sure what to do with the other side, but I've left them on so I know what seed in is in which bit as I know which is the front and back
Empty toilet rolls are great for seed starting too!
Related
22/05/2024
backyard retaining wall and raised garden bed render

General Discussion

thanks chippy! here is the back of the wall which has not been backfilled yet. Here is the same back of the wall taken from the other end, behind the steps. As you…

21/06/2023
Dry Well in the backyard

Landscape & Garden Design

It's possible but a soak well is usually much larger. Your 'soak well' only holds 424 litres when full. What is your soil type? Soak wells need sandy soils.

11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum