Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Mounting speakers on Wall - no stud

Page 1 of 1
Hello

I have bookshelf speakers I wish to mount on my wall as surrounds for my home theatre. Where I need to place them I do not have access to a stud. The speaker and bracket weigh about 9kgs but they do come out up to 40cm from the wall when swiveled. I have come up with 3 different options. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

The part of the bracket that mounts to the wall is 25cm high. https://www.btechavmounts.com/product-range/products/bt77

Option 1. Hang the speakers using 2 or 3 Wall Toggles. I believe this should hold but not real confident about this option because of the amount of weight pulling away from the wall.

Option 2. The noggin would be about the right height that I need so could I use 1 or 2 wall toggles and also screw into the noggin. This is the option I'm really not sure about. Should a noggin be used in this way. I have only ever screwed into studs to hang heavy items.

Option 3. Cut hole in wall. Install additional noggins to then screw into. This means a lot of extra work patching and painting.

Any experiences or advice would be great. thankyou
If you use 3/8"+ inch metal toggle bolts, you can easily support 20 kg+ at one point with just gyprock only.
alexp79
If you use 3/8"+ inch metal toggle bolts, you can easily support 20 kg+ at one point with just gyprock only.

I have hung a heavy mirror on a wall without a stud just using toggle bolts and it did a great job. The only thing with these speakers that I'm not sure about is the fact that they extend out from the wall by 40cm. Is this type of weight (I think it's called tensile weight when the weight is being pulled away from the wall rather than straight down?) going to have an adverse effect using plasterboard fixings only? thanks
If you can pick up a noggin then I'd use that for the top fixing. That way the tension is taken through a solid fixing. Realistically that would be enough to take the full weight of the speaker and bracket.
Any screws at the bottom are taking more sheer force and are more for location so even a wall mate would do.
killerkev
alexp79

I have hung a heavy mirror on a wall without a stud just using toggle bolts and it did a great job. The only thing with these speakers that I'm not sure about is the fact that they extend out from the wall by 40cm. Is this type of weight (I think it's called tensile weight when the weight is being pulled away from the wall rather than straight down?) going to have an adverse effect using plasterboard fixings only? thanks

You can put two bolts in the bottom of the fixture as they will be having more load. Otherwise, it will be similar.
Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum