Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Repairing small holes and cracks in concrete patio

Page 1 of 1
The front of our old Victoria era home has a concrete patio out the front. There are now a few chips, small holes and cracks in it...looks like over the years there's been a few different layers of material...some of the chips reveal a layer below that appears solid...almost as if there's a layer of thinner concrete (less than 1cm) over an existing layer.

Anyway, I just want to do a small repair job so I can repaint it. The largest hole would be maybe 2cm x 1cm wide and not very deep. There are other much smaller holes that are only a couple of mm deep...but if I just paint them you'll notice.

Would I just use a plain mortar mix for these repairs? I can't use concrete with gravel...nor deep enough. Just wondering if mortar will be strong enough on the ground and can be feathered OK so it doesn't look terrible?

Thanks
Probably a good method would be:

1. Keep wet overnight.
  2. Prime with a cement slurry
  3. Fill with sand and cement mix (absolutely not a bricklaying mortar)

Should work for holes but crack repair will not last.

Want to spend a bit more? Xypex products are expensive but have given me good results.
bashworth
Probably a good method would be:

1. Keep wet overnight.
  2. Prime with a cement slurry
  3. Fill with sand and cement mix (absolutely not a bricklaying mortar)

Should work for holes but crack repair will not last.

Want to spend a bit more? Xypex products are expensive but have given me good results.

Thanks. So not the small bags of mortar mix you get at Bunnings? Needs to be sand and cement mix instead? What is the difference?
Mortar has lime which improves the workability for bricklaying but reduces the final strength compared with concrete.

Concrete is cement and aggregate . . . . For normal concrete you use both: large aggregate(gravel), and Fine aggregate(sand) but for applications like this its just deleting the large aggregate.
Thanks a lot.
Have a look at some structural grout, you can get the mix just right and it will trowel in very easy with great results. Bunnings have these bags on the shelf.
Will do!
Related
3/04/2024
How to fix and prevent small holes in the mortar (between th

General Discussion

Recently I moved to a 30 year old house and found within few months there are small brown nests in the brick mortar and few small round holes in few places of brick…

18/01/2024
Brick wall small step cracks

General Discussion

Do I need to concern about this pattern of crack? Is this crack showing some signs of bigger problems? Thanks for any suggestions!

30/03/2024
Concrete apron and weep holes

General Discussion

You are correct. Just read through all the ncc rules and 75mm is the minimum requirement for me.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum