Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Wanting to build insulated roof for 40' high cube container

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

First post here! I'm purchasing a 40 foot high cube shipping container and am wanting to build a simple roof to keep as much sun off the roof and sides as possible. I'm very basic with my construction skills, and hoping to be pointed in the right direction as far as some helpful or relatively easy instructions could be found.

I'd love to build a roof that minimises the amount of sun that hits the container, and am also considering insulating the roof to reduce the temperature of the container during full day sun.

Thanks everyone!

-Richard
a
Any sort of elevated roof over the top will effectively shade the container.
Whether or not you construct a pitched roof or a flat roof over it they will
both achieve shading.If you choose a flat roof make sure you have a sufficient
air gap between the underside of your new roof and the top of the container.
I would consider approx 150mm would suffice to minimize the radiant heat
given off the underside of the new roof heating the container. Also if the new roof was a white colour
would help in reflecting the heat away as well. Wouldn't worry about any insulation.
You might also think about shading the walls as well.
A guy I know had a shipping container as his site shed and bunk house while he built his house in the country. He simply strung a few ropes from poles over the top of it then used a couple of big shade cloths. The Western side of it had a lean-to so that shaded it again. He said it was surprisingly effective even on really hot days.

Stewie
Related
16/08/2023
Container house Build - Queensland

Building A New House

Did you ask the Architect

26/01/2024
Precast Insulated Walls vs ICF

Building A New House

Good questions but the best answer will be obtained by visiting (ie: interviewing) a couple of house designers and/or builders and ask them. You may find it challenging to…

13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum