Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Repairing lumpy render patch

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Just found this forum, pretty cool stuff!

Anyway, recently had a gas line extended through my wall and punched outside to plumb my diy bbq bench. The plumber repaired the render when they were done, but did an absolutely terrible job, and it’s quite lumpy!

Any tips on how to sand this back so I can have a go at getting her all level?

Pic of my DIY BBQ bench and home cast concrete benchtop for internet points

geoffs87 Welcome to the forum
Is the wall brick or stud?
The benchtop looks great
StructuralBIMGuy
@geoffs87 Welcome to the forum
Is the wall brick or stud?
The benchtop looks great

Cheers! Sorry, should have included that info... it’s brick wall
You'll need to recess the patched area 3mm and apply a skim coat patch
How To Patch Plaster
StructuralBIMGuy
You'll need to recess the patched area 3mm and apply a skim coat patch
How To Patch Plaster

Thanks mate, what’s the best way to skim?
Apply a thin layer, let it dry, sand back flush, if needed, apply another thin layer, repeat
3mm is optimal for a pro, or build up the layers, use Cornice cement for skimming
StructuralBIMGuy
Apply a thin layer, let it dry, sand back flush, if needed, apply another thin layer, repeat
3mm is optimal for a pro, or build up the layers, use Cornice cement for skimming

Crap sorry, I meant how should I recess, that’s the problem I’m having, trying to sand the render back!

Thanks for your help!
It's easy to chip it back eg screwdriver/chisel, sanding requires too much elbow grease.hth
I would personally use a 5 -inch grinder with a sanding disk, You might be able to buy a cheapy at Bunnings.
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

4/10/2023
Mending cracks in render

General Discussion

Do you have a scope of works? If have texture on wall now, the patch will show through The standard for repair of texture is to patch, re-texture corner to corner,…

30/10/2023
External wall render

Building A New House

Thank you Pedro4137

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum