Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Help! DIY Queen Loft bed ... proving to be way over my head!

Page 1 of 1

Hi there,

Desperate need of guidance and advice on my loft bed project. I'm in no way an expert builder and even tho I'm quite good with woodworking, I've not mastered the lingo so all the hrs googling for instructions and plans etc has got me utterly confused and almost ready to make kindling out of it.

I'm looking for clear, simple easy to understand directions, with sidings or dimensions in cm or mm (converting to inches constantly is doing my head in even more)

I built a bed frame using 2x4s. Each side comprises of 1 laying on face and one on its side. Initially was going to be a wall bed. Unsure bout the strength of my wall having put a new stud on each existing stud and covering with mdf sheets as my new wall face, I sort help from a builder who was kind enough to have a look n give me free advice, that being don't put a wall bed up n better yet avoid mounting anything heavy to it as the added pull may cause it to cave in.

Scrapping wallbed but still needing something as a space saver, I figured freestanding loft bed.

I've posted pics of where I'm at n below is what's got be baffled :

Is using 2x4s in an L shape sufficient for the frame? The longer sides of the frame I decided might be stronger with metal bed rails so added them.

Using joist hangers I put up a 2x4 spanning the width of the room and attaching to side walls. I did this to have something to attach the wall side length of bed to rather than the wall as advised.

With only 2 side walls of approx 500mm depth to mount to the remainder of it is freestanding. So now I don't know how the frame should attach to my joist, does my joist need bit more strength so should attach another 2x4 directly to it and if so where (together so double in size, directly under it on its side up or flat facing. Then I'm faced with how best to build support beams to support that joist and also legs for the middle centre. Is a 3 stud corner arrangement ok and how to go about joining the frame to the joist and do I need to give consideration as to whether or not I need additional 2x4s under short sides of frame and if so, what configuration do I need n that case for each leg.

My original plan had no need for running wood slats across the width of the bed as was going to use existing bowed slats. Started adding a few pieces of blocking inside the frame not to add support but incase slats gave out, u wouldn't just plummet mattress n all to the floor.

Sorry I now it's a heap of info I'm after, but I'm in this now and would really love to see it all the way thru without losing my sanity over it!

Pics are included (ignore random pieces of wood everywhere, needed temporary supports to keep it up. The cupboard above the bed on left is yet to be removed but is definitely coming out)

Also suggestions regarding supporting from ceiling are a no go. Builders advice on that required all sorts of reinforcing and bracing work that is well outta my league just to understand let alone do.

Advice, tips, tricks, and sketches very much encouraged

Cheers
Related
23/05/2024
two way and three-way switch locations

Building A New House

hallway light switches outside each bedroom. Life saver.

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum