Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

How to re-adjust colorbond gate to fence

Page 1 of 1
Hey all,

Newbie to the forum so if this is in the wrong spot or if it this topic has already been covered elsewhere I am happy to have this re-directed to wherever it needs to go.

I have a colorbond gate that has shifted a little over time - as a result, the gate doesn't quite line up with the attached fence panel which makes the gate quite hard to open and close.

I have added a couple of pics to try and illustrate the issue....

As you can see there is a fair gap at the bottom which gets smaller and smaller the higher you get, as a result the latch is getting jammed between the gate and the attached fence panel.

I had someone take a look at it a couple of years ago and he actually took the gate of the hinge and lifted it slightly, it worked well for a period of time but it appears as though it has shifted again and I am back to square one.

Wondering if there are any folks out there that have endured similar issues and if so how they got them sorted?

I am wanting to have a crack at it myself but not quite sure where to start.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

M
mikeyjig Welcome to the forum & Thanks for the photos
Thats a common problem and should be easy to fix
The swing of the door & Load has tilted the post out of alignment
Install a diagonal SS wire and turnbuckle brace from the top of the post to the bottom
of the next post and tension.. Whola .HTH
Thanks for your reply mate.

What you are saying makes perfect sense, I have since had another look at it and the post that the gate is attached to is out of alignment, in fact the other panels attached are out slightly as well (by around 1cm - 1.5cm) so it seems to me that the weight of the gate has pulled everything out of alignment over time.

I have attached another photo to illustrate:

I can see how a wire and turnbuckle brace could be used to bring back into alignment but I am wondering if attaching the brace diagonally to the two posts would help as I would have thought that applying tension would actually bring the posts closer together and hence un-aligning the problem post further?

It seems as though the brace would need to be attached to something to the right of this picture to try and pull the post to the right of the screen slightly to re-align? The issue there is that there isn't anything really strong enough to anchor the brace to in order to pull the post into alignment.

Cheers

M
Is it possible to relocate the door hinges to the opposite post which is attached to the house?
Just a thought!
Related
15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

1/01/2024
Suggestions-side gate access to shed.

Building A New House

Hi, Building a new place and I have limited space from garage to fence. 3130mm width, then opens up over 5000mm once I pass tmy garage. I need a fence that goes from…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum