Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Pump - Underground Water Tank - Noises ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys and Gals.

I have a great Underground water tank. It has a pump to access water.

We have been away and I've noticed a ticking - like a clock coming from the pump electrical area.

Any ideas on what it might be - is it a common thing ?
I've noticed it can stop for a while - especially if I turn the power off and on.

But - its back today.
It sounds like an external pump.

An insect invasion maybe?

EDIT: https://www.clickenergy.com.au/news-blo ... cted-ants/
Thanks SH2O ... I think ...

Might open the box up and have a look.
Ants can be a problem with outdoor electrical equipment.

With the symptoms described, the pump's capacitor would be the next check. They are easy to remove, check and also cheap to replace.
Its actually coming from this little cylindrical thingo - with two thin wires. Just above main pump. About 4-5cms long. and only so thick.
Sounds like the capacitor alright. There should be plenty of information on You Tube showing how to remove and check it.

You can't go wrong when installing a new capacitor, just make sure you are sold the correct one. It will cost about $25.
OK - thanks.
I've now realised its the solenoid. The clicking is intermittent - ie goes off for some time.

But - will still need to fix.

Not sure why the thing clicks - but it might be pressure from full tank ?

Will post outcome.
What solenoid is that?
Its above pipe and connects the power to the man bit. Looks a bit like this - screws in.

http://www.irrigationstore.com.au/Library/Image/Valves/solenoid.jpg

The black bit - with the two wires.
It's hard to visualise your setup but it's good that you traced the source of the noise.
Yes - its a funny set-up. U/g tank - with equipment on side of house. Not the usual type I gather.

AND - not like the "plastic" above ground tanks either - as I understand it.
Did you have it installed or was it pre-existing? Is the solenoid part of a mains water switching device that switches from tank water to mains water when the tank's water level is low?
It was part of the deal - with land. Connected to house at build for toilets etc etc.

Yes - it does switch to mains when low. Only ever happened once in the past 5 years.

But - yes - it is part of that set-up. It screws into the system.

It has proven very useful - excellent pressure from pump - better than mains. I use it for gardens too.

Funny - I've never really looked inside the main "box" but there's a "reserve" battery - apparently I'm meant to replace it every few years ...
In case of blackouts I guess.

So I have done this now ...
Will do it from now on when I do the smoke detectors.
Hi H2O - found a solenoid - seems to be OK. 2W NC 12-15 etc - 24 V - looks the same. Anything I should look out for.

If I put the wrong one in what could happen ?

Also - why does it click - and then not click. It might click for a few hours - then not for a similar time.
Solenoids are not in my area of expertise, sorry.
Related
6/06/2024
New home build: Heat pump HWS instead of Rainwater tank

Building A New House

That's brilliant would appreciate if you have you can locate the other doc so I can use it with my discussion with the building surveyor

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

15/01/2024
Slim line water tank and strange pipes

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Thank you for the generous offer. I need to get the plumber out to give me an explanation. As mentioned I haven't seen any rain water discharge from pipes 1& 3. It…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum