Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Drainage problem HELP!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I have a drainage problem.

The home is a 100 year old weatherboard. On one side, dirt has been piled up above the level of the barge boards and a concrete path laid on top, right up to the house leaving nowhere for water to drain, and completely blocking underfloor ventilation. This caused a minor termite problem which has been dealt with. However, to deal with it in the long term, we need to get some ventilation back and prevent pooling of seeped water from the path under the house (termites love a damp environment).

I was thinking of getting a concrete cutter and cutting the path say around a 100-150mm away from the house, removing the concrete and digging down (about 200mm) to expose the barge boards. Remove them to completely open up the underfloor area for ventilation. I could then fit some form of grate over this that allowed ventilation.

I then need to fit some form of lip to the cut edge to direct rainwater away from the grating and to a drain.

Does this sound reasonable? What would you suggest as a way to direct the water to the drain?

TIA
cheers
Gary
Related
3/07/2023
Drainage Problem

Landscape & Garden Design

Thank you for this information.

13/09/2023
Drainage solutions

General Discussion

I would find out how deep your clay base is and depending on the depth install a cut off drain which is more than a normal agi drain. Where the neighbouring walls is…

14/09/2023
New house land/slab drainage?

General Discussion

Thanks for the heads up mate, greatly appreciated 👍

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum