Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Wall stud weight?

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Wanting to mount a shelf on a wall that will need to hold about 35-40kg

My home is a new home, timber frames.

How much weight can the studs hold?

for such a shelf i understand L shape brackets with a support brace would be required, and if the studs can handle the weight, what screws would you use?

thanks
Hi buzurk
Internal or external wall?
Adjacent to a corner/intersecting wall or not?
Is the wall restrained at the ceiling?
Is your Roof built with trusses running perpendicular to the wall?
more info required
Cant answer all of that accurately

Internal wall.
Nearest corner / adjacent wall would be approx 1m away
Not sure
Not sure
Shouldn't be an issue mate.

Most big screen TV's weigh at least that much, so provided the item you are actually mounting to the wall stud is strong enough (ie the design of the shelf) then you shouldn't have an issue.

The best method to attach something heavy to an internal stud wall is by using 'coach screws'.
These are thick pointy tipped screws, but instead of having your typical flat head or philips screw top, they have a bolt head.

You install them by drilling a pilot hole about 1/3 the size of the thread to the appopriate depth, and then socket them in like you would a normal nut until tight.

Considerations:

Avoiding services (water, electricity) in the wall.
Finding the studs in the first place!
Using the right amount of coach screws, and the right size and length.

For instance, a flat panel TV has a mount with a large surface area. 4x coach screws (M10, 65mm) would sufficiently hold onto it no problem. When you are talking about a shelving system, you have to consider that because it protrudes away from the wall there's leverage (it'll try and pull itself away from the wall). So into a studs is the only way to go.

Utilising an L shape bracket with support brace as you've said is the right way to go.
Two or three coach screws into the wall on each bracket would certainly be enough to hang off it yourself (provided brackets were designed for the weight!).

Pre-fabricated brackets typically have holes pre-drilled for you. Provided you find a bracket suited to the weight you require, just match the holes to the size of the coach screw, and buy enough to screw into wall using all holes available. If it's a partition wall leading to another room opposite side, dont get screws too long that they will protrude through the other side! I think 55-65mm would be plenty as you aren't talking about a lot of weight.

Good luck!
Champion thank you

Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum