Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Filled weep holes + some damaged flashing

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice on a weep hole issue at my house. The house is on a slab – brick veneer about 25 years old and generally in good condition. Split level and only ground level weeps were filled.

Long story short some of the weep holes were filled with expanding builders foam. The original building inspection said we didn't have any weep holes but later I worked out they were filled. I have done my best to remove this but in some of the weep holes I can see the foam has gone behind the bricks or damaged the flashing/damp proof course when removed. Some of the weep holes it was not very deep and easily removed without issue.

Fortunately we haven't had any issues with dampness even when they were filled I'm more trying to proactively fix things before they become a bigger issue in the future (termites, rotting timber etc). My understanding of weep holes is that they are for draining water in case of roof leaks and to keep the air inside circulated with the outside to avoid dampness.

Curious what peoples thoughts are on any further action?

- Should I look at getting a bricklayer or damp expert to remove affected bricks and repair the flashing (I'm assuming with flashing tape?) then re-instate the brick(s). Apart from cost my concern is this could be noticeable for any future buyers and may scare them off thinking there was/is damp issues.
- Monitor the situation and get any affected walls treated at that location only? If it becomes an issue?

Sorry bit out of my depth here and just have a general understanding..

Cheers,

Grimey
Related
13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

27/07/2023
Weep holes required?

General Discussion

I know foam has been around since the 90's and CSR started manufacturing Hebel in 1989, so it's definitely possible

30/03/2024
Concrete apron and weep holes

General Discussion

You are correct. Just read through all the ncc rules and 75mm is the minimum requirement for me.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum