Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

LED Downlights replacement didnt work

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, recently bought 4 philips LED downlights MR16 pins type to replace my current halogen downlight. It turn on for few seconds and turn off itself and left one workings. Tried couple times still the same but once switched back halogen all working fine again. Could anyone tell me whats wrong? Thanks

The original down lights would have come with a transformer to step down the current to 12volts. This won't be suitable for running multiple down lights.

You need to replace it with a special LED transformer which is known as a "Driver"

When I changed I just bought an LED Down light kit from Bunnings and replaced everything.

If you live in Victoria I think you can still get contractors to replace your halogen lights with LEDs for Free including fitting 'drivers'. Not sure about other states.
No, i am in WA. I actually bought one and try and was working. No flickering or anything. But when i have four together. Only 1 or 2 will stay on. I did some google some says philips master have its own driver/transformer which can direcly use. Wonder if i should get those. Thanks

I would expect the bulbs with built in drivers will be more expensive so you really need to compare with the cost of fitting independent drivers.
Sorry chiming in late here.

Firstly the MR16 LED's all have the driver built in, they are designed as a drop in replacement for halogen downlights.

Don't confuse a driver for a transformer, they are two totally different things...

The problem that I think you are seeing is LED's don't draw anywhere near as much current as halogens and some transformers , especially electronic ones need a minimum draw to work. So at turn on there is an inrush of current, they turn on, but as they stabalise the current drops and the transformer drops off. Sounds like you are on the edge with one drawing just enough to satisfy the minimum current for that transformer.

The solution is to have multiple LED's off the one transformer or change the transformer to another model. The old fashion iron core ones should be fine, or use the one Philips recommends.
Related
4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

19/01/2024
Exposed Aggregate Concrete Repair / Replacement - small job

Paving & Concreting

Last year I had a gas leak at my house. 3 days later, I have about 1 sqm of my exposed aggregate paving broken up. I am not sure how to go about getting it repaired…

12/02/2024
Terracotta roof replacement

General Discussion

We're looking at replacing the roof of a heritage listed home so it needs to be terracotta tiles, wondering if anyone has any recommendations, hints or…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum