Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

DIY Vertical Merbau Paling Fence

Page 1 of 1
I need a second opinion. I am building a vertical paling fence using merbau. The length of the fence is 9.5m, which runs along my drive way. There will be some small plants planted in front of the fence, and behind is existing bamboo. There is a very easy slope UP to the garage door approximately 270mm over the length of the fence (9500mm).

The timber guy who supplied the merbau reckons I should rake the fence in line with the slop of the driveway so that all palings will be the same size. The top of the fence will obviously have a upward slope that reflects the driveway slope.

My mate reckons the merbau will look unreal if the palings are installed so that there is a straight/level line across the top of the fence - Of course this will mean that the first paling at the start of the driveway will be approximately 1700 vs 1430 for the last paling near the garage (the difference being the slope).

My preference is to have a level finish on the top of the fence - Merbau looks really good like this but I am concerned about how the fence will look as a whole.

This is probably hard to visualise from the above and particularly because you have seen my house - even so does anyone have any opinion on this???

In the mean time, I will see if I can upload a picture.

Thank, Marcel
What is the purpose of the fence? Usually its to block out neighbours, so I would be retaining the full length on all palings if it were me. Why cant you decide?
Related
15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

21/03/2024
Heated vertical towel rail at the end of a walk-in shower

Bathrooms and Laundry

Electrical just got back to me and said the most they can provide is a single power point on the Bedroom 1 side of that wall. After handover, your towel rail installer…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum