Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Have you ever thought of painting your tiles?

Page 1 of 1
Although it may seem a common thing to change your tiles when you don’t like the colour of them, for a cheaper alternative way, why not just paint your tiles?

I have heard of a few friends who have been happy revamping their bathrooms and kitchens on a budget by just re-painting their tiles. It’s amazing how a change of colour can do to your space!

Here are my tips on how to paint your tiles:

You will need:

A tile and laminate cleaner
A dry sandpaper
Some masking tape
A paint brush
A tile and laminate primer
Some tile paint
A grout pen

Method:

• Clean your tiles with the tile and laminate cleaner. Use a damp cloth or lightly rinse to clean thoroughly.
• Then, use the dry sandpaper to roughen up the tile surfaces. Then rinse again.
• Use the making tape to tape up the places that you would not like to paint, such as the wall or corners of the cabinets.
• Apply a coat of primer to the tiles. Allow the primer to set.
• Then paint your tiles with the tile paint.
• Allow the first coat of tile paint to dry before applying the second coat of paint.
• Once the second coat of paint is dry, use a grout pen to go over the grout lines.
• Then you’re done!

Hope you found this useful.
Is it durable?
It won’t be as durable as getting new tiles. If you can afford new tiles, change your tiles instead.
I think is a good idea for the diy. I do not recommend in a wet areas though and the grout would be the first to peel off then the tiles.
Great idea for the one who loves changes but cant afford it always! Durability might be an issue, still a great DIY to try once. New concept and a great idea to experiment. I had never heard about this. Nice information.Thank you.
We painted the tiles in our bathroom, kitchen and laundry, to see which colours we liked before we re-tiled the areas.

It was a cheap way of seeing what colours worked and what didn't, as the paint only cost about $20 a tin.

On the walls in the kitchen it worked really well, and we ended up just keeping the painted tiles, and we used a black permanent marker to change the colour of the grout, leaving us with a really nice subway style finish.

In the laundry and bathroom, after about 3 months the paint on the floor tiles started to flake off as they would stick to your feet.

The painted wall tiles in these areas were still ok, but I would recommend it in humid or wet areas.

It didn't really bother us as we only ever painted them as a concept.
I painted my kitchen splashback tiles 15 years ago. Still fantastic. Completely durable. They were disgusting olive green. Painted white. I used White Knight tile prep. No sandpaper. I did my laundry wall tiles five years ago. Used Penetrol (or ESP? can't remember) priming solution. No sandpaper. I covered with two coats of good quality oil based enamel paint. Thoroughly recommend it.

Also recommend re-enamelling a metal bath. I did that too ... absolutely PERFECT! A two part epoxy system. but WARNING: The fumes nearly killed me. I had to keep running out for fresh air.
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum