Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Re painting door frames

Page 1 of 1
Hi there have some paint chips in my painted metal door frames. They are done with a oil based enamel. The makers are quite low down so I'm wondering if I touched them up it would work ok, or if the area around the chipped paint Needs sanding back and then the whole vertical part of the door frame being rolled again??

Same question in relation to a little chip of paint off the bottom of a toilet door. A painter has said the whole door will nee reprinting,,,, is that because we're dealing its oil based enamels or more so a perfectionist painter?

Touch it up. Then if you don't like the look of it, time to paint a bigger bit with good preparation.
Photos would help.
Depends how big the chips are.
If white the oil based paint would have yellowed so matching could be difficult hence the suggestion to repaint the whole door or frame.
Normally I would use an appropriate filler, sand then undercoat then regloss.

Thanks YNOTDOY. Door frames aren't yellow as thy are new. When I say chips it's more like paint has been knocked off. I'm also looking to fill the lower door frame stay "holes" that are normally covered by the height of tiles but in a couple of doors we have the polished concrete. I've seen how to fix these with auto bog so it's a weekend DIY job and then maybe a whole frame repaint if the patch looks no good. Thankfully they are right down near the floor.

Beazley77
Thanks YNOTDOY. Door frames aren't yellow as thy are new. When I say chips it's more like paint has been knocked off. I'm also looking to fill the lower door frame stay "holes" that are normally covered by the height of tiles but in a couple of doors we have the polished concrete. I've seen how to fix these with auto bog so it's a weekend DIY job and then maybe a whole frame repaint if the patch looks no good. Thankfully they are right down near the floor.

I have used epoxy putty for similar repairs. Usually found in paint departments of hardware stores.

If you want your door frame colour to look consistent, re-paint the whole door frame. You have to first remove any surface rust or loose paint from your door frame with a wire brush. Then you need to remove any loose paint. After that, apply a good quality primer and paint to your door frames.
Related
19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

9/01/2024
Leak through concrete after putting frames up

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you doing this with a building permit? Conversion of a non habitable room into a habitable room requires building permit.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum