Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Fretting brickwork and motar

Page 1 of 1
I have a cellar under a newly purchased renno which is enclosed with a double thickness brick wall about 400mm thick. The house is about a 100 years old or more. The cellar is quite dry and there only appears to be a very small amount of salt damage. It looks pretty good for its age. The walls don't appear to be taking any lateral weight. The brick cellar walls are supporting most of the timber framed, iron clad house on top.
However, the face of many of the bricks is fretting away. They appear to be old red sand based bricks. The mortar is not fairing well either. It is easy to just rub the face of the brick and mortar away.
This space is 6.6m square and 2.4m deep. This is too good an area not to do something with it.
If I had the resources I'd probably shotcrete it but that's not going to happen. Is there a product out there to spray/roll/brush on the bricks to stabilise them to stop the fretting without resorting to rendering?
Related
25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

19/09/2023
Gyprock before Brickwork

Building A New House

Yes windows and doors are in

30/10/2023
is this brickwork acceptable

Building A New House

I wanted to get some thoughts on the quality of workmanship on the following brickwork? are there specific clauses in Australian Standards which relate…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum