Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Painting Tiles

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Has anyone had experience in painting tiles? We are going to paint the (very old and ugly) tiles in our bathroom and toilet, and probably the kitchen splashback as well as we cannot afford to re-tile. What is the best method - brush, roller, sprayer? I know not to paint the floor tiles (thankfully they are fairly unobtrusive) but is there anywhere else I shouldn't paint such as the shower?

Any advice, recommendations or experience much appreciated! Thanks!
It's actually in preparation for selling the house - we will be building soon and will put our current house on the market late next year. Our house is a standard 3 bed 1 bath house with a good sized yard in an established area, and is ideal for first home buyers or young families. Real estate agents have indicated that a buyer would probably be more inclined to replace the kitchen and bathroom as they are older and could be so much nicer, and the prices around here usually mean they can afford to do so. Most similar homes to ours are either leaving bath/kitchen as is, or completely re-doing both. Unfortunately with our new build that's not something we can afford to do.

I've seen a friend's place with painted tiles and laminate in the kitchen and it was quite nice. She used rollers but said it was tricky because the paint was quite think. Also, her tiled areas were much smaller than the laminate areas so maybe I didn't "see" the tiles as clearly because the laminate was such an improvement?

Plus I already have the paint!
Hi,

Check out this thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13354&start=600

Michelle has recently painted the tiles in her bathroom & I think it looks fab...maybe PM her for a bit more info
Quote:
Real estate agents have indicated that a buyer would probably be more inclined to replace the kitchen and bathroom as they are older and could be so much nicer,

I think you have answered your own question. In my opinion painting tiles is an elcheapo cover-up, at best and something I would NEVER contemplate.

If you were a buyer what would you prefer -- A dated bathroom that's tired and in need of updating, OR something that's been covered-up with paint, creating a suspicion that there could be more 'nasties' covered-up for the sale.
eyspy
My advice - don't do it. Wait till you can afford to re tile. My reason is because I have seen it done before and it looks like crap and scratches very easy.
If you can't afford it can you live with it till you can afford it ?

Agreed!

Maybe if you want to freshen up the look, you can paint designs on them with a stencil? It might have a charming rustic look to it. It depends on your decor of course but mabye could be a good alternative! here is a great how-to.

And if you really insist on painting over the whole thing, here is a good link on how to do it
Hello it seems that you really put time in your site it is very well arranged and I love the way how you share your information with us. Looking forward to see your posts again so to the viewers that will also shared their opinions. Thank you so much.
Related
14/07/2023
Painting Multifinish Plaster

Building A New House

Hi, Have used the Dulux 1 step, oil base on my walls(white set), out of can it’s already a more thinner product than a final coat paint Also in water base Water or…

5/03/2024
Painting Acrylic rendered retaining wall

General Discussion

Thanks mate, is there a standard off the shelf type breathable product I can apply DIY? Thanks

6/04/2024
Painting help please

General Discussion

Thanks will do.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum