Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Clean up of house

Page 1 of 1
Having never built before, I was just wondering, when handover happens,before we move in, will my house be cleaned up inside and vaccumed, etc, or is this our responsibility?
Barb
The builder will arrange a cleaner, but don't expect it to be clean to your standards...

I suggest you show up immediately after getting the keys with a bottle of champagne and a couple of glasses, plus a vacuum cleaner, bucket, mop, pack of cleaning cloths and some detergent or whatever your preferred cleaning products might be.
We just moved into our new house two days ago. Apparently it had been cleaned twice and it was very clean except the floor tiles, as we had tradesman up until the last minute in and out. But before you go and clean it all, just remember that if your going to be carrying boxes and moving stuff in, then maybe its best to wait until your all finished and then do a proper clean. You'd be amazed how dirty cardboard boxes and polystyrene can be! Not to mention the unlandscaped dirt patches surrounding every exterior door.
...and sorry but you will be cleaning and re-cleaning for weeks as the dust continues to settle
^ what she said.
Not long in our new house now and I cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned.
I've now given up, that dust is a killer and i'm refusing to clean it again until all my boxes are unpacked.

Just need to get the mister to unpack them
Hmmm, I seemed to have had a different experience. My house was literally sparkling when we got handed the keys.

The one thing I thought I was not going to be impressed with was the "builders clean" (as I am somewhat of an ocd cleaner) but they certainly surprised me, the fussiest of cleaners!

My gloss floor tiles were so shiny, even I haven't been able to get them back like that since having handover 4 weeks ago.

The only thing I did have to clean were the tracks in some of the windows which had a built up of dirt (oh and of course gave the toilets a thorough disinfectant/clean before use), but other than that, I was extremely impressed.
Thanks for all your replies. I've been reading through our contract and I can't find anything about cleaning the inside of the house.
Barb
Hi Barb,

Cleaning of the house is covered in the building standards and tolerances.

Section 18.09 of the standard and tolerances includes the following statement:
"Building works are defective where windows are not clean, floors are not swept, mopped or vacuumed as appropriate, tiles, sinks, basins, troughs, baths etc are not cleaned and shelving, drawers, cupboards not ready for use."

You can refer to the complete building standards and tolerances document here http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/resources/documents/S+T_GUIDE_07.pdf

Michelle
n&n02
Hmmm, I seemed to have had a different experience. My house was literally sparkling when we got handed the keys.

The one thing I thought I was not going to be impressed with was the "builders clean" (as I am somewhat of an ocd cleaner) but they certainly surprised me, the fussiest of cleaners!

My gloss floor tiles were so shiny, even I haven't been able to get them back like that since having handover 4 weeks ago.

The only thing I did have to clean were the tracks in some of the windows which had a built up of dirt (oh and of course gave the toilets a thorough disinfectant/clean before use), but other than that, I was extremely impressed.

We too were very lucky! Ours was impeccible - and I too am the fussiest of cleaners - of course I went thru and did my own clean, but really was not necessary...
Was certainly better than I had anticipated it being
Im still finding paint micro spots

Cheers Lou
Do you have some tips about siding repair??I’m planning to improve my house and repair all those furniture that has been damage.

I already got some ideas at http://sidingrepairhouston.org

However, I still need more reliable sources before finalizing my decisions and start it as soon as possible. Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance
Related
22/04/2024
Best way to clean and fix the pavement

Landscape & Garden Design

I have stone pavement (?) in my backyard around the pool. I have not tended to them and so there is moss growing on them. I intend to clean them but was wondering what the…

13/05/2024
Building a boundary house - up against neighbours house

Building A New House

Good on you for having a go I am the opposite of DIY (so will pay a builder) - our vibe is industrial/simple so current thinking is 150mm concrete and then internally is…

7/06/2023
Leaning House piers

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

That’s very helpful information. Will find out more from there. Much appreciated.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum