Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

How to get paint to stick to old fibro? oil based or acrylic

Page 1 of 1
Hi i am wanting to paint our old fibro house but paint doesn't seem to want to stick, have tried some products in past like eb to add to paint but still paint lifts, we have only tried acrylic paints would we have more luck with oil based one ? there is a bit of porosity to the fibro and some mould inside which i keep cleaning.
Happens inside and out, moreso outside it just flakes off.
Hi,
I'm not sure about your paint - we painted our old fibro extension at our former house with standard Solaguard paint and never had any trouble. I just had a thought on your mould problem though. Shannon Lush the 'stain guru' is always talking about using Oil of Cloves mixed with water and sprayed to not only remove mould but to stop it from coming back. Google her to find out how much to use. Perhaps if you can control the issue the paint will stop peeling in the future?
I hope it works for you
A couple of questions??

is the fibro bare? or painted?
what product are you currently trying to paint with??
Thanks, some of the fibro is bare, some is painted, its patchy outside, inside whenever it peels we patch it up and paint it, outside i am thinking of spraying it down with high pressure water hose and scrubbing stiff broom, then might try a primer, think might try oil based paints.

in the past have used acrylic undercoats and acrylic paints, not the best brands paints, but adding the stuff to add to the paint to get it to stick.

inside we have added a antimould to paint and still mould grows
maybe the roof has some leaks.
The top coat is only as good as the substrate it is painted over

In other words
Prep is the KEY

I would be scraping EVRYTHING back to get to bare fibro if possible

then a Quality sealer undercoat SOLVER OIL LATEX if you can for the interior
then 2 coats of Premium or ultra premium product in the colour of your choice

For the exterior a QUALITY Ultra premium exterior paint on the bare fibro will be fine as they are self priming on bare surfaces

now if you can not scrape it all back to bare wood a quality oil based sealer will work wonders and after you leave it to cure you can paint over it with a water based paint

The use of additives in my opinion is a waste of time and money
if they are needed the paint company would have added them in during the mix IMO

The mould additive is only really active whilst the paint is wet after that is does nothing
Mould is present cause the house has perfect conditions for it to grow

warm rooms with moisture

Easy fix is to air the house as much as possible after cleaning the walls down and use a product like Taubmans Easy Coat
It has Microban and is proven to work in keeping mould to a minimum

but airing the building will help immensely too

Forget using EB nad save your money
Thank u for that, so for the outside is this the paint?

I think with prep will only go as far as brushing down with stiff broom and wet karcher as there may be a small % asbestos in fibro.
ultra premium is just a level

for exterior

Taubmans Endure
Solver Duraguard
Wattyl Solagard
Dulux weathershield

Since you are on the Beaches

I recommend you go to (Bristol or it may have changed to Taubmans) on Condamine street in Balgowlah
they should be able to help you out immensely
oh ok i see, i was just googling then and lots of brands came up now.

i have a local bunnings, i might ring and see which both recommend. thanks.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bunnings is HOPELESS

spend the time and go see the guys down at Bristol
Ok, i think i will as i need as much help as i can get

today i cleaned a section with the karcher and broom, its almost a bare surface, a bit greeny but dad reckons that might be some old paint, don't have any sugar soap, so will get that 2moro and do it again.
I also saw this paint which is supposed to be guaranteed for 5 yrs against mould growing

http://www.doittv.com.au/s2ep12/zinsser.html

any reviews on this paint, anyone used it? will ask them at Bristol about it too.
Yeah GREAT STUFF

Zinsser is fantastic
Cool, i might use that for inside and they suggested a surface binder and taubmans endure at Bristol for the exterior.
Have you had the fibro tested if it contains asbestos? I would not be doing any paint preparations until you can be certain. No sanding, scraping, drilling etc.
Please DO NOT start sanding, scraping etc until you have tested the Fibro for ASBESTOS!!! 🙏🏼
Related
18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

21/02/2024
Oil under boards before laying

General Discussion

I'm about to put down some Merbau. Is it necessary to oil underneath the boards before laying?

2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum