Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Any hints for window cleaning?

Page 1 of 3
Hi
It's time for the annual window clean.

Has anyone got any tips for streak free window cleaning? What spray and what cloth should I use?
I always seem to end up with streaks.
Thanks
Windex and Newspapers works really well!
johnnyrie
Has anyone got any tips for streak free window cleaning?

My tip is to hire a window cleaner! I'm not getting up that high to clean.

Judie
I use my old enjo bathroom mit and shammy thingo- works great and really easy.
p.s I don't sell the stuff
Hi Johnnyrie,

Have a look at this old thread on here from a while back. It is actually about cleaning your tiles & shower screen but i use my method for cleaning the outside of our windows too. It works a treat. I had no complaints from the Real Estate Agents when we moved out of the Rental last year, and trust me they were very fussy. Hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26487
Thanks for your help. These window cleaning professionals say that plain old dishwashing liquid is the best and a good squegee. http://www.cleanmywindows.com.au/FAQ/Ho ... sional.htm
Guess I better stop procrastinating and do it!
johnnyrie
Thanks for your help. These window cleaning professionals say that plain old dishwashing liquid is the best and a good squegee. http://www.cleanmywindows.com.au/FAQ/Ho ... sional.htm

dishwashing liquid will get your glass clean, but it will corrode aluminium windows. Buy some car wash, that is safe.

Ed
I use 1 part vinegar, 1 part water and a 1/4 tsp of dishwashing liquid (or carwash). Mix in spray bottle and off you go. I clean with old flannel nappies and the windows are streak free!
Gaia
I use 1 part vinegar, 1 part water and a 1/4 tsp of dishwashing liquid (or carwash). Mix in spray bottle and off you go. I clean with old flannel nappies and the windows are streak free!

I'm going to try this one
johnnyrie

My rother is a cleaner & says it's the best & cheapest, too. Just make sure the squeegee is a decent quality - a Bunnings will do.
Also, each time you use the squeegee to wipe down the window, use a dry rag to wipe the blade clean. Use several rags and not just one that will get more & more wet.
I have just asked a window cleaner the same question.

His recommendation was to use the brand "Morning Fresh" dishwashing liquid. Also, he said to cut a potato in half, stick it on the end of a stick and rub down the glass .. this will effectively "seal" the glass for a short while, he suggested doing this once every couple of months, good for ballustrades/pool fencing ..... I haven't tried this yet, but when I do I will let you know how it goes.
Sorry for sounding repetitive... don't use any washing up liquid on any painted surface, especially aluminium windows. Glass no problem, powdercoated aluminium or paint - big problem.

Ed
Appreciate your advice Ed and I will be using car washing liquid ... have you heard about this potatoe thing before? Also, can you recommend a good glass sealer? I heard you can seal glass and then the water just forms beads and makes for an easier cleaning job.

Thanks.
Ed I'm curious...

I'm not disputing what you say about using car wash instead of dish wash liquid, but I'd like to know what the supposed difference may be. Dish washing liquids are simply surfactants and normally have a near neutral pH. So chemically, I don't see what would make them corrosive to aluminium. You imply that car wash detergents are non-corrosive. But how so? Perhaps a corrosion inhibitor added?.

The other thing is these statements make it sound as though all d/w liquids are alike, and all car wash detergents are alike (chemically). I'm not sure if this is so. Are you able to explain WHY? Its not that I'm skeptical, just that I like to understand such things, rather than just taking someone's word.

Ash.
jaelee
Appreciate your advice Ed and I will be using car washing liquid ... have you heard about this potatoe thing before? Also, can you recommend a good glass sealer? I heard you can seal glass and then the water just forms beads and makes for an easier cleaning job.

Thanks.

Never heard of the potato thing. You can use any silicon spray, or the Rainex they use for windscreens from your local auto store.

Ed
royalblue
Ed I'm curious...

I'm not disputing what you say about using car wash instead of dish wash liquid, but I'd like to know what the supposed difference may be. Dish washing liquids are simply surfactants and normally have a near neutral pH. So chemically, I don't see what would make them corrosive to aluminium. You imply that car wash detergents are non-corrosive. But how so? Perhaps a corrosion inhibitor added?.

The other thing is these statements make it sound as though all d/w liquids are alike, and all car wash detergents are alike (chemically). I'm not sure if this is so. Are you able to explain WHY? Its not that I'm skeptical, just that I like to understand such things, rather than just taking someone's word.

Ash.

You asked before Ash and I answered in that thread. I will dig up the info and get back. Would you wash your car in dishwashing liquid? I did for a while, in a life before windows, and the car developed rusty marks all over, through the paint.It took about 6 months of weekly washing for this to happen. A car is steel and windows are aluminium so they don't rust, but they do corrode.

Ed
I'm a fan of windex, and I use an old cloth nappy with it (though I've also tried newspapers and they work, too).
A vinegar/water mix also works.
ed @ EcoClassic

You asked before Ash and I answered in that thread. I will dig up the info and get back.

Must be the dementia!
Might explain the strange feeling of dejavu I had.
royalblue
ed @ EcoClassic

You asked before Ash and I answered in that thread. I will dig up the info and get back.

Must be the dementia!
Might explain the strange feeling of dejavu I had.

You've been sniffing that carpet glue again

Google CAR WASH and WASHING UP LIQUID...

Quote:
To wash a car in dish washing liquid will strip the wax from your car, pull the oils out of the paint and clear coat and over time make the finish brittle, crack and hair line crack.

To wash a car in the sun with any soap with cause water spots on the finish. A water spot is actually a miniature crater being formed on your finishes surface. After time these mini craters dig deeper and deeper in time getting under the finish and allowing it to lift. This lifting can cause the finish to again be weak and brittle as the bond is no longer there.

The best soap for a car is actual car wash soap. It is a softer soap and will not remove the wax or harm the finish. A fresh wash mitt or microfiber sponge is best over a kitchen sponge.

To use the wrong products on your car or in a improper way can cause damage that is not reversible unless repainted. And a repaint is way worse than a factory finish.
Source(s):
Automotive Cosmetics & Paint Expert
mr sheen furniture polish and a microfibre cloths works wonders on both mirrors and windows. just be careful when you spray as the mist lands on the floor and becomes very slippery.
Related
20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

2/05/2024
Cleaning

Outdoor Living

Yep, efflorescence as mentioned above. You could look to clean it with a "acid" based cleaner and then seal with a penetrating sealer. This may not stop it entirely but…

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum