Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Sufficient Paint!

Page 1 of 1
Before painting, ensure you have enough paint on hand to complete any given project.

Different batches of the same brand and colour may vary.

A greater problem is when a paint dealer finds difficulty in matching custom paint colours.

Remember, do you have enough paint?
how do you know how much paint to get?
When ordering paint ask the supplier to put the details on the paint lid. i.e. 'yellow ochere 7'
etc. etc.
Often paint 'colours' are discontinued and having the original pigmentation details can prove to be invaluable.
WHEN WORKING OUT COVERAGE OF STANDARD HOUSE PAINT I WORK ON:

INTERIOR
BARE PLASTERBOARD 8-10 METERS SQUARE PER LITRE
TOP COATS 14 -16 METERS SQUARE PER LITRE

EXTERIOR
BARE TIMBER 8-10 METERS SQUARE PER LITRE

ON ROUGH SAWN TIMBER THIS COULD BE AS LOW AS 6 METERS SQUARE PER LITRE
IT IS IDEAL NOT TO PAINT WHEN IT IS TO HOT, AND IS OK TOO ADD UP TO 10% OF OF THE RECOMMENDED THINNERS OR PAINT CONDITIONERS TO THE PAINT REF TO THE PAINT SUPPLIER
DULUX 12 25 25
WATTYL 132 101

EXTERIOR FINISH COAT 14 METERS SQUARE PER LITRE

EXTERIOR STAINS AND OILS ON BARE TIMBER 6 - 10 METERS SQUARE PER LITRE FIRST COAT AND THEN 10 - 12 SECOND COAT

THESE ALSO VARY ON SURFACES YOU PAINT MAY IT BE BRICK, RENDER, HARDWOOD, SOFTWOOD, STEEL, PVC ETC.

I HOPE THIS HELPS IF ALL ELSE FAILS GO INTO YOU LOCAL PAINT SHOP (NOT HARDWARE STORE MOST OF THEM KNOW SQUAT ABOUT PAINT) AND THEY SHOULD SET YOU ON THE RIGHT PATH

ALL THE BEST

EGGENZ 2004
Paint cans have their respective coverage on the tin. which is in sq mtrs, so a 3m x 3m wall would be 9 sq mtrs (one coat)

Paint can very a little, but not usually enough to notice. its always a gud idea not to start painting an area with a new tin when your halfway through the job.

information on tin should contain.... name of color, whos colour (dulux etc), tint formula and preferbly date (this shuld be on bottom of cam...most people paint their lids and when u bring the can in they can see what paint, base etc. it was)

Painting conditions are best on perfect days....you know nice temp nice breeze (if its too hot for you then its too hot to paint...if its too wndy well youknow, same goes for wet, cloudy, humid)

Staff knowledge is trial and error unfortunately hardware shops usually have ex painters and or staff who have work for major paint companies like dulux etc but still every store will have someone you dont like or trust the trick is finding one
Related
6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

24/09/2023
Most affordable paint brand

General Discussion

Thank you. That is really helpful. Once we get the place done and passed for OC we can upgrade in the future once we get back on our feet and not paying mortgage and rent.

23/12/2023
How to fix gaps, nail holes, cracked wall/paint from skirtin

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi there, I just recently received my new house from my builder. We handed the house to another company to deal with the…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum