Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

‘Basement’ waterproofing bare bricks

Page 1 of 1
I have just ripped out built in corner furnishings fitted 2004 at build. This ground floor entry has this short length of wall built into a block length retaining wall, property is on a slope so neighbours garden starts half way up the wall. During heavy rains there is seepage onto the tiles and in the past two years of ownership the plasterboard and paint have perished. Clearly last owner painted over some major issues.

I need advice on how to approach the problem now. I am hoping there are treatments I can apply to the bricks to make them fully waterproof.

Also any suggestions around home insurance ? Isn’t this a structural claim ?

Can’t believe a builder was allowed to do this in QLD.

…. Photos
to do it properly you need to dig out the garden and waterproof the outside of the wall. There are some products you can put on the face of the bricks but the water is still in the porous block wall and will cause damp issues where it can escape.
Related
14/05/2024
Build Basement for car parking - Sydney

Building A New House

You could be looking at anywhere between $400,000 to $800,000 depending on so many variables including: 1. Site conditions - what material is being excavated 2.…

19/09/2023
Waterproofing NSW

Bathrooms and Laundry

I have researched this topic in detail recently but for another state which has no licensing requirements at all so any handy man can waterproof any old way and not have…

10/10/2023
Waterproofing standards

Bathrooms and Laundry

Does this look right for the laundry?

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum