Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Loft Installation

Page 1 of 1
Hi everybody! Completely new here so sorry if I'm posting incorrectly, and sorry if I use incorrect terminology. I'll try my best.

Im looking for advice on which posts to use to support an insterrsting structure. I've received the opportunity to turn a 6m w x 6m l x 4.2m h, part mudbrick, part wooden structure into a dwelling. Its north facing windows are blocked by another structure. The roof is an A frame with a north and a south facing side. I want to build a loft for my bedroom, and raise a quarter of the roof up so that I can stand and look out over the structure at the property. I plan on it being slightly smaller than 3m by 3m.

I've been told that it would be easier to just cut a 3x3 hole in the roof and build an entirely new structure including a new roof for that structure, which would sit in that hole and on the same supports that will support the loft, which I'll be connecting to the concrete slab floor (with some sort of footing or bracing?).

I can use one wall maybe as load bearing. The other three sides of the loft/structure would be held up purely by bearers (not sure if that's the right term. The big pieces of wood that I'll connect the joists to) connected to posts. I plan on using 265mm e joists with 300mm spacings. Im also hopefully going to have windows to look out of. If anybody is still with me, I'm wondering what I would need to use as posts to bear all of that load?

Thank you so much to whomever lasted all the way to the end!!! I know it was a lot but it's hard to describe without showing...
Is the structure classed as a dwelling? That might be your first hurdle if you are going to get it through council.
Ardo
Is the structure classed as a dwelling? That might be your first hurdle if you are going to get it through council.

Definitely not, but I'm not sure I'll be speaking to council...

I'll check on that later though. For now working on possible budget so trying to plan.

Thanks for the heads up though!
Related
21/06/2023
Mohair Seal Installation

Windows & Doors

I need to replace the worn mohair seal on my sliding window, but I can't get access to the end to slide the old one out & push the new one in. I could probably rip the old…

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum