Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

home’s age: how old is too old?

Page 1 of 1
Hi hive,

I am looking to buy my first detached free-standing house to live in. I live in SE QLD.

I know it is a hard question and there is subjectivity involved, but how old is too old for a house? My fears are buying an older home and needing to do constant upkeep to keep it from falling apart.

What are the biggest things to look out for?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
pre 1970 lead paint
pre 1986 asbestos
imo
post 1980 poor building quality
post 2010 very poor building quality
Thanks for the points Aussieta. As it turns out, I am even more noob that I originally thought.

I have decided to mainly aim for houses built between 1990(in hopes of not having asbestos issues) and 2010.

Do you think the framework of a house is also important to consider? Timber, plywood, steel, masonry, reinforced concrete etc.? I live on the Gold Coast with humid summers, if it matters at all?
prior to 2010 most houses will be 90 x 45 pine frames with truss roofs more common after 2000
Related
20/10/2023
Replacing masonite in an old home with a fair bit of soil mo

General Discussion

Hi, we live in an area where the black soil is prone to a lot of movement. We have an old 50's house with masonite everywhere and nails popping out, warping, rusted etc.…

13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

23/02/2024
Am I too heavy for the roof cavity?

General Discussion

Firstly, if your house is still under builder's warranty (10 years in Victoria) you should have no need to crawl into roof space but let the builder handle it, unless you…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum