Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Any hints for window cleaning?

Page 2 of 3
ktspruce
mr sheen furniture polish and a microfibre cloths works wonders on both mirrors and windows. just be careful when you spray as the mist lands on the floor and becomes very slippery.

And Mr Sheen is silicon...
Hi ladies and gents go easy, this is my first post here.

Short of getting a professional to clean your windows, the tips I can give you (from a professional
), don't use windex. Unless you plan on wiping it completely off, leaving the glass dry again, as soon as the sun hits your window all you will see is swirls and murky glass.

The way professionals do it is with soapy water, a washer and a squeegee. Its fairly straightforward. To remove stuck on dirt or grime a low grade steel wool or sharp razor blade will do the trick, just be careful not to scratch the glass and if you have any tint on the glass then do not use a razor or steel wool. A soft cloth is recommended for wiping down the edges of the glass, and a thick towel to wipe the sills dry, keep the two seperate.

Obviously, I can not give away all my secrets or I'd be looking for a new job, but that will get your windows cleaned to a fairly good standard. The rest comes down to technique and experience.

ed @ EcoClassic
dishwashing liquid will get your glass clean, but it will corrode aluminium windows. Buy some car wash, that is safe.

Ed

Hi Ed, I have never noticed this on any windows I have cleaned before. Do you have a link to an article discussing this? I'm not having a go at your point, I am just curious to see some proof that dish washing liquid does in fact corrode window frames.
Also, I can't say I've ever heard that potatoes seal windows temporarily. I can't imagine it would work to well, but give it a go and post back your results. At worst, you can always just clean the potato off your window again.
viewmore
Hi ladies and gents go easy, this is my first post here.

Short of getting a professional to clean your windows, the tips I can give you (from a professional
), don't use windex. Unless you plan on wiping it completely off, leaving the glass dry again, as soon as the sun hits your window all you will see is swirls and murky glass.

The way professionals do it is with soapy water, a washer and a squeegee. Its fairly straightforward. To remove stuck on dirt or grime a low grade steel wool or sharp razor blade will do the trick, just be careful not to scratch the glass and if you have any tint on the glass then do not use a razor or steel wool. A soft cloth is recommended for wiping down the edges of the glass, and a thick towel to wipe the sills dry, keep the two seperate.

You should never clean glass with a razor blade and steel wool... especially toughened glass, it will certainly scratch the glass as it picks up the "fines" deposited in the toughening process. Plenty of info in the last 5 years if you research it. This is the biggest complaint to builders, and it's caused by cleaning.

viewmore

ed @ EcoClassic
dishwashing liquid will get your glass clean, but it will corrode aluminium windows. Buy some car wash, that is safe.

Ed

Hi Ed, I have never noticed this on any windows I have cleaned before. Do you have a link to an article discussing this? I'm not having a go at your point, I am just curious to see some proof that dish washing liquid does in fact corrode window frames.

This is from knowledge and research, but I have sent a request to the biggest supplier in the world to ask for current info. They say I will have a reply in 48hrs and then I will post it here...

Ed
Ed for what its worth... I've thought a bit about this suggestion that d/w liquid is corrosive to aluminium etc. Here's my theory.

Dish wash liquid is basically a good surfactant, and helps to emulsify soils and oils. It also acts as a lubricant to the squeegy in professional cleaning of windows. The thing is, as they apply the cleaning solution to the window and then squeegy it off, it accumulates along the lower lip/edge of the glass and aluminium frame. This may leave a concentration of detergent in this position, which may remain as a hygroscopic residue.

So my thinking is, its NOT a chemical effect of causing corrosion, but that the residues may tend to attract and hold moisture along the frames, which produces a corrosive effect. I'm happy to be shown otherwise, but that's my best guess.

Ash.
royalblue
Ed for what its worth... I've thought a bit about this suggestion that d/w liquid is corrosive to aluminium etc. Here's my theory.

Dish wash liquid is basically a good surfactant, and helps to emulsify soils and oils. It also acts as a lubricant to the squeegy in professional cleaning of windows. The thing is, as they apply the cleaning solution to the window and then squeegy it off, it accumulates along the lower lip/edge of the glass and aluminium frame. This may leave a concentration of detergent in this position, which may remain as a hygroscopic residue.

So my thinking is, its NOT a chemical effect of causing corrosion, but that the residues may tend to attract and hold moisture along the frames, which produces a corrosive effect. I'm happy to be shown otherwise, but that's my best guess.

Ash.

Maybe Ash, also the edges of powdercoated profiles have the thinnest coatings due to the electrostatic coating methods, in fact in some lighter colours where the coating is fine, you can almost see through to metal at edges.

Ed
ed @ EcoClassic
You should never clean glass with a razor blade and steel wool... especially toughened glass, it will certainly scratch the glass as it picks up the "fines" deposited in the toughening process. Plenty of info in the last 5 years if you research it. This is the biggest complaint to builders, and it's caused by cleaning.

Using a blade or steel wool will scratch if not used properly, it will most certainly scratch any glass that has a laminate or is toughened like you say, but to say it scratches all glass is not entirely true. A sharp, small blade that is used in one direction and sparingly will not cause damage, obviously making sure that you aren't dragging debris across the glass surface.

As for builders, at least the few builders cleans up I have done in the past, they need to take better care of their glass during construction, just not relying on window cleaners to remove render or whatever else they let the other workers get on the glass. I once turned up to quote a builders clean up on a house that used Viridian Comfort Plus glass inside wooden frames. The painters had not masked any of the glass and it had 2-3cm of paint around the edges of the glass, there is no way to remove that and leave the glass in tact!
viewmore
ed @ EcoClassic

Using a blade or steel wool will scratch if not used properly, it will most certainly scratch any glass that has a laminate or is toughened like you say, but to say it scratches all glass is not entirely true. A sharp, small blade that is used in one direction and sparingly will not cause damage, obviously making sure that you aren't dragging debris across the glass surface.

As for builders, at least the few builders cleans up I have done in the past, they need to take better care of their glass during construction, just not relying on window cleaners to remove render or whatever else they let the other workers get on the glass. I once turned up to quote a builders clean up on a house that used Viridian Comfort Plus glass inside wooden frames. The painters had not masked any of the glass and it had 2-3cm of paint around the edges of the glass, there is no way to remove that and leave the glass in tact!

I agree... no blades on toughened. And yes, you can use a blade on clear float, with a new blade and lots of care. And yes, Low-e coatings (one side) are impossible to clean.
Ed
Here is the reply from Interpon (owns Courtaulds, Dulux, Akzo Nobel, etc.).

Quote:
We normally recommend automotive detergents as these are specifically designed to be applied over a coated surfaces.

The key issue is to ensure the detergent used is "pH neutral" and the cleaned area is thoroughly rinsed with fresh water after cleaning. We would recommend that the cleaner you propose to use checked to ensure its is "pH neutral", diluted and evaluated on a section prior to cleaning or maintaining a larger powder coated section.

Note

Ed
homeonline
1. Ensure that the cleaning direction is only one way.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that you should clean each side of the window in a different direction (eg, inside up and down and outside left and right), that way, if you end up with streaks, you know which side of the window to re-wash
I use Enjo products when cleaning my windows. They have a window cleaning head that has a fibre on one side and squeegy (sp?) on the other side so you clean with the fibre and remove most of the water with the squeegy and then I completely dry it with a seperate microfibre cloth and haven't had any issues with streak marks
Dishwashing liquid vs Car wash - My tender hands prefer car wash. The dishwashing liquid (even for sensitive hands) dry my hands out in minutes, but the car wash has not effected them. Sorry, no scientific theory attached.
Wow! There are so many ideas out there! Thanks guys
What about windows that have tinting? Anything special I need to do so I don't wreck it? Normally I get professionals in but just can't afford it ATM.
I just cleaned my windows with the car wash and squeegy!
They look clear as crystal from all angles and sunlight - TOP TIP!
I just use a damp cloth (just water to make it damp) and then a dry cloth. It will come up perfect.
If the window is really grubby, then a go over with some vinegar in water then the above procedure.
I have detailed many cars in the past including some show cars. Best I have found for quick, streak free cleen is Metholated Spirits from a spray bottle and newspaper. Give it a shot and you won't look back.
Tornado_ALIVE
I have detailed many cars in the past including some show cars. Best I have found for quick, streak free cleen is Metholated Spirits from a spray bottle and newspaper. Give it a shot and you won't look back.

I just heard this tip from a friend today. Do you diluate the metho with water though?
No, Metho disperses water. Run it straight
Thanks Tornado.
Related
20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

2/05/2024
Cleaning

Outdoor Living

Yep, efflorescence as mentioned above. You could look to clean it with a "acid" based cleaner and then seal with a penetrating sealer. This may not stop it entirely but…

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum