Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Filling in old pond space adjacent to deck

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

We moved in to our place a few months back. The previous owners had a small pond with no filtration and some unhealthy goldfish, we've since moved them to a larger pond and taken out the pre-fab pond that was in the ground. The space left is adjacent to the deck. My primary job is to raise this "pond area" up to the level of the deck and probably add decking to it (this latter part is not essential - see below).

My main question is - what do folk recommend for filling in the space? My dad suggested gravel, but I wondered about cost and subsidence - is there a better option? The ground is compacted soil and the space is 150 (w) x 100 (l) x 30 (d) cm. See attached photos (it is currently hosting some plants we need to keep away from the puppy - apologies if that obscures the view somewhat).

The puppy leads me to my next question. I want to install a dog door in the leftmost panel of slats so the puppy can come in and out. The area I am filling in is therefore primarily for his use and doesn't need to be decking - any thoughts on cost-effective alternatives would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any replies,

James

Pond space - consider a raised bed for a veggie patch.

http://www.hayters.com.au/veggie-patch-and-compost-bins

https://vegepod.com.au/

Bunnings..
Related
27/03/2024
Forest adjacent with stonework -Colours for our second dwell

General Discussion

We are building a second dwelling and are currently selecting window and door frames. We want to blend into the forest and also bring out the stone work and the fake wood…

5/12/2023
Rainwater Tanks not filling in light rain

General Discussion

That was always going to be a challenge and a test of patience. Full marks to your mate. Did you discuss the wet area near the trampoline?

31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum