Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Best wood to use for decking?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Thinking of doing wooden decking at my alfresco and front porch for my house in Perth. The total area is roughly 30sqm. Quoted around $3.5k for Merbau decking boards. Is this reasonable?

I know there're lots of different kind of wood materials for decking? Which one would you recommend for most natural looking & least maintenance required?

Thanks in advance!
3.5k for 30m2 works out to be $116/m2 supply and installed. Overall a good price if they are doing the work, paying their insurance, running their business and making some money.

Merbau is a nice timber that is affordable and is quite hard wearing. I don't think you will have many issues over its life. My recommendation is to give it some maintenance every 6 months rather than a year. Light clean and oil and it will keep in good nick. Same with any real timber.

You can go maintenance free with something like Modwood but real timber wins every time.
Merbau has to be treated correctly otherwise it will leech colour and stain surrounding material. Make sure whoever is installing it does that before hand.

We'll be using spotted gum or ironbark - most likely spotted gum as it's a little bit more affordable.
Related
2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum