Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Paving woes

Page 1 of 1
Advice please,

I have happily laid approx. 60m of 500mm x 500mm pavers. I was not concerned too much that they were not sitting entirely level.. Until today.
I assumed that once I ran the plate compactor over them they would level out. They haven't.
Everything I have read has said to apply sand to the pavers and joints prior to doing the final compaction of the pavers, I believe this may have been my undoing.
I am assuming the only way to fix this is to start again?

Am I having this problem because of the size of the pavers?
Good paving starts with a good base, Skimp on this step and you are always going to have problems.

See this link for some advice on what is needed for concrete . or any other sort of paving. http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2012/02/con ... -the-base/
Thanks Bashworth.
Problem is, I've spent so much time getting all the elements right. That's why it's so disappointing. Maybe I'll have to learn to live with it.
Pavers, especially large format pavers are best laid on a concrete base (reo not always needed). Laid with mortar or tile adhesive
I've decided to lift them and start again. Can't live with looking at them.. And the crap from my mates.
Peter F
I've decided to lift them and start again. Can't live with looking at them.. And the crap from my mates.

Best to try and get them level as you go. Do you have a long "level" ?

If each one is slightly out it'll be very noticeable at the end and will take a lot of effort to level.
Yeah i do, i was a bit complacent the first time. It won't happen again. Some people have to learn the hard way.
Related
29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

26/12/2023
Paving Concrete Over Termguard Pipes

Building A New House

As most others have posted above the install isn't compliant. The pipe is meant to be covered in loose soil or sand, the pipe has holes in it that leaks out a termicide…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum