Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Outdoor Screens

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone got those outdoor screens that you often see in display houses.

I mean the big ones - rectangle - say 2.5 x 1.5 - along fence line - but inside your property line.

Maybe dolphins and stuff cut into them and burnished.

I've tried a few places but they are generally very small.

I want them to block side view - about 7 metres - so would like them to be a reasonable size to start.
They are generally attached to posts - in cement - in the ground.
I don't have any screens myself but have undertaken some research with a view to purchasing. As far as I can tell the "standard" size is 1200 x 2400 but you can get up to 1500 x 3000. Just be aware they are pretty exxy.

Just looked up the quote I got (from 2013): $1,056 per 1200 x 2400 panel PLUS $275 per panel for powdercoating.
if you are handy with drafting/vector tools (autocad, turbocad, corel etc) you can draw up your own designs (or get them off the net and modify) and send them directly to someone who does laser cutting (get a few quotes, they vary quite a bit).

I also received some outrageous quotes (this seems to be a niche market exclusively for those that want what's in display homes!) but doing it like this it's possible to reduce the price per screen by 50-75% (including powdercoating if necessary).

If you can refinish yourself by spray painting or even brusshing/rollering in an appropriate outdoor paint then of course the costs are reduced even further.

Preferred material is 1.6mm steel for outdoors, you can do them in wood but longevity may be an issue. Hope this helps
Wow - thanks guys. I thought the cost might be the issue.

There is a bloke nearby who might do such things - he works with metal and while he doesn't advertise for houses your comments made me think he's worth a go.

Thanks.
I'll have to keep an eye out at the home show - thanks to guys here - they might have something like this ...
I work in a sheetmetal company and made my own screen. It cost around $270 to make. Those companies just rip you off blind. The are a good effect.

The rusty appearance is a special material called Corten. It's specifically made to rust a certain way and then the rust protects the surface. There are lots of tricks to accelerate the rust. I used a fine spray bottle with vinegar and it came out a treat.
Just be aware it will drip rust onto your pavers and when you touch it you'll get rust on your hands.

Crazyk
I work in a sheetmetal company and made my own screen. It cost around $270 to make. Those companies just rip you off blind. The are a good effect.

The rusty appearance is a special material called Corten. It's specifically made to rust a certain way and then the rust protects the surface. There are lots of tricks to accelerate the rust. I used a fine spray bottle with vinegar and it came out a treat.
Just be aware it will drip rust onto your pavers and when you touch it you'll get rust on your hands.

Do you take orders ...
Haven't thought about it. Lol

i will order a couple too
X3
x 4 haha
Holy Moses

sounds like you may have to quit your day job crazyk
We used http://www.entanglements.com.au/ have a fairly big range, nice work on yours crazyk!
Yes - I need to cover about 7 metres - so the ones you showed - side on - say 2.5 x 1.5 ?
Could be a business here ...
Yeah I looked at entanglements.
The hard thing is doing the artwork.
It took me about 4 hrs to tidy up the artwork for that tree.

Indeed a business idea but with a full time job it's hard to devote 4hrs min to the artwork. I might have to check with the boss if it'll be a conflict of interest.

Crazyk
Yeah I looked at entanglements.
The hard thing is doing the artwork.
It took me about 4 hrs to tidy up the artwork for that tree.

Indeed a business idea but with a full time job it's hard to devote 4hrs min to the artwork. I might have to check with the boss if it'll be a conflict of interest.

Good luck - tell him it'll benefit you both ...
Related
13/02/2024
Safety screens! Worth them?

Safer Living

Hi everyone. I am a single mother with little daughter, living in a small tourist town in WA Australia. I am thinking to install security screens to all the doors and…

29/10/2023
Outdoor Blinds for Pergola

Outdoor Living

About a year ago, I embarked on a DIY project to construct an outdoor Pergola, which measures approximately 5.2 meters by 4.0…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum