Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Welcoming side gate

Page 1 of 1
I'm hoping someone has some ideas on how to make a side gate inviting but still somewhat private.

My house faces west. There is 3m along one side which will be an outdoor area. I want people to feel welcome to walk through the gate and into my house through the side door(glass sliding). I don't want a solid fence and gate, it feels like too much of a barrier. I want people to have an idea of what's happening beyond the gate but not see the specifics unless they're up close.

The other problem is that the prevailing wind is a westerly, it's strong in my area and cold in winter. I can't plant a large tree as a wind break because the crossover is there. My driveway is curved.

Any help would be appreciated. I just can't think of a fence and gate that could do both.
can you post up some pics so we know what we're looking at? I think it will be easier for someone to make a recommendation after a visual of the area..
Dying to see responses to this - I've never thought of a 'nice welcoming' side gate before as like you, it interprets large unattractive security gate ........ but we want to put a big side gate in our rebuild (which we've never had before) as we want the front door to be the main entrance (most times
) so hoping you get some great ideas which I hope to snaffle up as well

sorry I'm no help ... but loved your question

Jazzie
SORRY , I am also looking for some suggestion on this. Good thread. I also have about 2.8m on one side. And like to be another entry to the side of the house. Hope someone response with a good idea..
What about a brush fence but use the reed so it can still be seen through, but it will act as a wind barrier too.

Or a timber gate set inside brush fencing. here's a couple of pics I found on the net.

Ignore the comments on this one, it's from a maintenance site

I also like this screen gate.
The middle looks good. The last one as well. good idea... A full lenght cover with a small gate in the middle... emmm
You're right XT4V I can't explain it so well. As soon as I get back from work I'll post the plan.

Hels nice ideas. I like the last one particularly but I would want a little more view inside(which also lets in more wind
). Creeper on wire frame could work. A friend suggested coloured perspex to look like stained glass maybe with a creeper.

The house is 3m south of the north edge. No room for planting a windbreak infront of the gate. House is set back 6.5m
Related
1/01/2024
Suggestions-side gate access to shed.

Building A New House

Hi, Building a new place and I have limited space from garage to fence. 3130mm width, then opens up over 5000mm once I pass tmy garage. I need a fence that goes from…

25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum