Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Laminex bench top

Page 1 of 1
We are fully enclosing our pergola and installing a kitchen with built-in bbq. The walls will be cladded with a product by James Hardie and ceiling will be plastered using blue board. No insulation. We will have windows and a sliding door. Barring any leaks, the kitchen will be protected from the elements. My question is can I use a Laminex bench top? Many people suggest granite or ss however this will be completely undercover. Thoughts please.
If it's never going to get direct rain you should be fine.
Ask for the benchtop to be made on aquaban blanks. The underside of those boards are coated in melamine so it helps protect both sides of the board from high humidity.
Personally I always build with waterproof materials in alfresco settings just because I feel it's best practice, but I've seen plenty of standard internal style kitchens installed in alfresco areas that have lasted well.
chippy
If it's never going to get direct rain you should be fine.
Ask for the benchtop to be made on aquaban blanks. The underside of those boards are coated in melamine so it helps protect both sides of the board from high humidity.
Personally I always build with waterproof materials in alfresco settings just because I feel it's best practice, but I've seen plenty of standard internal style kitchens installed in alfresco areas that have lasted well.

What do you mean by aquaban blanks? I looked up the meaning and nothing came up.
Post formed laminate benchtops are often pressed onto raw MR particle board blanks which means the underside is just a raw particle board finish. That's fine for a kitchen but aquaban blanks have one side with a melamine finish. This goes on the underside so you have laminate on the top and melamine on the underside.
It just means the whole board has a coating and will help with humidity.
Some postformers use them all the time some just use raw blanks. I'd just specify it to make sure.

Here is the link.
https://www.laminex.com.au/products/aqu ... /AU1000055
chippy
Post formed laminate benchtops are often pressed onto raw MR particle board blanks which means the underside is just a raw particle board finish. That's fine for a kitchen but aquaban blanks have one side with a melamine finish. This goes on the underside so you have laminate on the top and melamine on the underside.
It just means the whole board has a coating and will help with humidity.
Some postformers use them all the time some just use raw blanks. I'd just specify it to make sure.

Here is the link.
https://www.laminex.com.au/products/aqu ... /AU1000055

Great advice. Thanks mate.
Related
31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

27/04/2024
Laminex Essastone Discontinued - What are some good alternat

General Discussion

Caesarstone, quantum zero, Q Stone zero, porcelain. All the manufacturers are pivoting into zero silica materials. Google any of those and have a look. Some are still…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum