Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Calculate the price of a deck - Mother of all posting!!

Page 3 of 4
Dukekamaya
Firthy_26
Thanks Luke.

As I said, the measurements all look Greek to me so not sure if everything I need is there. Just had one quote from a timber yard & he came up with $7500, so I guess it's around the mark.

Any suggestions / changes will be appreciative.

I worked out $6823, thats a timber yard quote with 140x25 decking.
Don't forget you'll be up for about $500 at least to coat the deck plus all you fixings. I'd suggest looking at some composite decking, especially if the majority of the deck is uncovered. It is dearer but you will never need to coat it.
http://www.monarchdeck.com/advantage.php

Thanks Luke.

Had a look at a few decks done in composite. They look great. Still much prefer the look of real timber though. ½ of it is uncovered & faces North so I know the upkeep will be high. Don't mind. Good excuse to get out of the house for a weekend.

Also in saying this ^^^, when the time comes for another coat, will it look odd comparing the exposed part & the covered part?? Won't it be a lot darker in the covered areas?

Mike
Here's a question, as an owner builder, am I allowed to build a 2.56m high raised deck myself, or is it one of those trades like electrics and plumbing that have to be done by a certified professional?

Thanks

Simon
Simon you can do it by yourself (as owner-builder) as long as you do it properly - as I said it really isn't that high.
Firthy_26
Also in saying this ^^^, when the time comes for another coat, will it look odd comparing the exposed part & the covered part?? Won't it be a lot darker in the covered areas?

Mike

You will end up with slight difference between the exposed and covered sections - they will need recoating at different intervals and the sun-affected areas will tend to get darker.
As an example, a friend of mine has both covered and uncovered sections of his deck, the Sikkens Filter 7 ( recommended for hardwood decking) lasted about 6 years undercover and about 3 in the sun.
Dukekamaya
Simon you can do it by yourself (as owner-builder) as long as you do it properly - as I said it really isn't that high.

Thanks Luke, I appreciate the advice.

Simon
Luke, is it ok to laminate 2 x 90x45 treated pine as bearers and use 90x45 as joists? What would be the span of the bearers and metal stirrup post if I was to use the 2 x 90x45? Thanks.
wonderland
Luke, is it ok to laminate 2 x 90x45 treated pine as bearers and use 90x45 as joists? What would be the span of the bearers and metal stirrup post if I was to use the 2 x 90x45? Thanks.

You can buy 90 x 90 laminated posts (GL8 structual grade) for about $13.50 per metre - they are stil the 'rougher-header' finish, not the primed ones - that you could use to save laminating them yourself.

To calculate a bearer span I need to know the depth of the deck - usually referred to as the 'Floor Load Width' or 'FLW' This is calculated on the distance of one bearer to the next, essentially the joist span.
If using 90x45 joists which will span 1400mm -1800mm depending on the structual grade. I'd guesstimate your bearers (2/90x45) would span around 1600mm-1800mm.
Thanks Luke. I was thinking of using 90x45 because they are only $4 per meter. Would it work just as well to laminate these two together? Is it still strong?

Sorry, what I mean to ask was what would be the distance from one bearer to the next if i use the 2 x 90x45 tp.

My deck will be 6mx5m. Are you saying that the joist can only span 1400mm - 18000mm at a time? Can I just use one joist which will run the full 6m?

Cheers mate.
Also, if I put bearers 1.10m apart, can I then have the post 1.25m apart? Would this be structurally sound? I dont really want a bouncy deck. The joist will be 0.45m apart, would i be able to get away with 0.46m?
cheeers
The joist span means the distance from one bearer to the next. You are beat to run one 6 metre length if you can, giving you four 'spans' of 1500mm - therefore you would have 5 bearers etc.
If the other span is 5 metres I would have 4 posts spaced approx. 1670mm apart. Its fine if you glue/nail 2 pieces of 90x45 together for that.
Thanks Luke!

The bearers will 5m long, which means that i will have to go 1670mm apart!
Sounds good mate.
Adrian B
I stand corrected. Should read the Bearers run the same way as the decking boards.

Deck sits on joists which sits on bearers which sits on posts (or concrete.

As for the offer, I was joking!!.

That said, you can easily guage how much the materials will costs, so that will give you an idea on the cost of labour and markup. Example: I drilled and hand nailed every single nail in both decks. A pro will rpobable use a nail gun, and not predrill. Your choice, but I dont think you can get twiseded galvanised decking nails for nailguns.

Hey I never did it before either, but it all comes down to planning, preparation, the right tools and some common sense, research and asking dumb questions.

I have a DVD which explains a heap. send me a PM with yr address and I will see what I can do.

Hi

I know the $105/sqm offer is just a joke, but wondering if the DVD offer is still valid ?
A friend and myself building near each other are planning to build the deck ourselves given that he can get Merbau at wholesale price but it is our first attempt.

Also, you mentioned about using concrete post instead of treated pine.

Can i ask how do you then install the bearer on the post and also whereabout near Tarneit can i get the concrete post ?

Thank you
Wow this is really informative. Thanks. Decking will be the first want on our list when we move. Nice decking you built there BTW
This is excellent information - thanks for that!
I think many of you guys here seem to pick things up really quickly and understand how to properly install a decking just by looking at the raw materials. However, it would be great help if someone could actually write me a "Step by Step Guide for Dummies" with pictures!!!
Any good videos out there on Youtube or som' that shows literally how to do it step by step?

Thanks everyone!
Haywire
"Step by Step Guide for Dummies" with pictures!!!
Any good videos out there on Youtube or som' that shows literally how to do it step by step?

Thanks everyone!

PM sent
Adrian, thanks so much for passing the dvd to me today!!!
To everyone, if you ever do need help with installing ur own decking, Adrian's the man. 100% friendy and 100% helpful!!! Thanks again!!
There are many a knowledgeable person on H1, ppl such as the Fu man, da Vinci and Dukey are big contributors on the board, and have a wealth of knowledge to share.
Can you please PM me the guide as well.
Sorry if I've missed something on the way through thread - BUT

What could I expect to pay someone to lay 50m2 of merbau. Materials will be supplied - probably not nails though. All structure will be done (properly) I just need to get the merbau laid.
Related
8/06/2023
Does my deck need handrails?

General Discussion

I've just built 3 stairs off a landing out the back and been told by the private certifier I need hand rails sorry tried to attach a pic but couldn't mine don't have sides…

6/07/2023
Holman deck lights

Lighting + Lighting Design

So I'm just reading up on this ecosystem of lights. I'm planning on putting deck lights along the outside edge of a large deck. Will need about 3 packs (18 lights) plus…

24/07/2023
EPDM Deck liners or trex rain escape

General Discussion

Hi, does anyone have any experience with using Trex rain escape or EPDM rubber to waterproof a deck so you have dry space underneath. Popular in the US and realize that…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum