Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen renovation questions

Page 1 of 1
We are buying a new house which needs a new kitchen. I spoke with couple contractors and don't like what I hear so far. To minimize the pain, I was hoping they could plan everything and even order cabinets in advance before removing the old stuff and then quickly install the new kitchen in a few weeks. This renovation does not involve demolishing any walls, etc. Both contractors said that they would need to demolish the existing kitchen then take measurements for the cabinets and everyhing else, then install the new cabinets and appliances. This whole thing would require about four months. I don't know why they cannot take measurements for the new cabinets while the existing kitchen is still in place. But they insist that need to demo first.

Is this pretty typical or are they trying to do it this way to avoid the risk of a customer changing their minds?

I know at least several people renovated their own kitchens. Did you demo first then start building the cabinets (when all the walls etc, remain as they are) or did you build at least most of the cabinets and then start demolition?

Thanks!!
Hi Than
For all my kitchen renovations I measure and pre make the kitchen. It's ready sitting in the workshop.
I normally start demo on a Monday and get all the rough in done the same day. Tuesday I start installing and often by Wednesday or Thursday all the fit off is done so you have a functioning kitchen.
The only thing that slows that down will be if you are having stone. In that case the stone mason picks up the template on Wednesday or Thursday and there is a 1 to 2 week wait until it's installed then final fit off and splashback.
The longest a client would be without a kitchen is roughly 2 weeks. Maybe a day or two longer.

I don't know why they need to demolish before measuring. It sounds a bit unusual to me. Are they actually building it themselves or ordering it in as a flatpack from China? Even if they demolish and measure it should only take a fortnight max before they are installing, assuming they are making it themselves. If they are importing it then yes you will wait months.
Yeah agree with Chippy I have always worked like this, cant remember anyone removing it all prior to measuring unless there is major structural changes.
Hi Than,

As Chippy said, you don't need to wait for the kitchen demolition to get a measurement however are you dealing with the kitchen company itself or the builder?

If it's the builder, the kitchen contractor would want a measure up with a 3D plan which may be the reason why it will be demolished. However it shouldn't take 4 months to get completed.

Let us know how you go.
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum