Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Best value kitchen design ideas?

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone have tips on how to maximise the value of a kitchen?

What designs etc add cost to a kitchen without any real value?

I feel like the kitchen design we had after meeting with the planner is going to come in waaaay over budget, partly because we got talked into things we hadn't originally wanted (like sink, dishwasher and electrical in the island instead of having it as just bench top and cabinets)
seechange
Does anyone have tips on how to maximise the value of a kitchen?

What designs etc add cost to a kitchen without any real value?

My tip is to spend money where it is noticeable, and don’t spend money for a name when it’s not obvious.

Sinks are a good example. Some of the "top"names will cost thousands, but the manufacture and steel used in many of the Chinese import you see on eBay are just as good. In fact, you never know where the name brands are sourced, and they could be coming out of the same factory.

Buy PC items yourself, and if you have time, build up your inventory from surplus from other peoples excesses. You'd be surprised how much you can save on items that others bought for their house build and then didn’t use. eBay and Gumtree have lots of these.

Buy in bulk and bargain hard for discounts. If you can get your appliances as a package, you can ask for a bigger discount.

Focus on value for money, rather than the cheapest. If a more expensive item is known to have good longevity and after sales service, then the extra cost will give you better value in the long run than a cheap item that fails.

Incorporate cheaper items from places like Ikea and similar into a custom made kitchen. Ikea have very specific sizes, so if you can get your joiner to match those, you can use their draw inserts rather that the super expensive ones from companies like Blum.

Keep plumbing and electrical as simple as possible as plumbers and electricians cost a lot, especially when things get complex.

Keep your cabinetry clean and neutral. A classic design will stay fresh longer, whereas the latest fashion trend may look dated tomorrow.
Related
2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum