Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Ventilation of butler’s pantry

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Our butler’s pantry is about 10 sqm. It’s on the western side of the house with a 600mm by 1600mm (I think) fixed window sitting just above where the benchtop would be.

Since signing the contract, we have decided to put in a cooktop and rangehood to do the most amount of cooking in there. We are going to put in a door to have the ability to close it off and hide the mess.

Question is, should we change the fixed window to sliding window and/or add an extra exhaust fan for ventilation or even make the window wider and make that sliding? The problem with sliding window is that the position is that it is west facing.

Any suggestions or where to get advice?

Thanks.
If you’re concerned about opening the window, what about an externally ducted ventilation hood?

One
Since signing the contract, we have decided to put in a cooktop and rangehood to do the most amount of cooking in there. We are going to put in a door to have the ability to close it off and hide the mess.

Not sure why you would want to do that as it makes it a second kitchen and defeats the intended purposes of a scullery. What's your thinking it doing this?
One
Question is, should we change the fixed window to sliding window and/or add an extra exhaust fan for ventilation or even make the window wider and make that sliding? The problem with sliding window is that the position is that it is west facing.

I presume the rangehood will be ducted, so that should cover your ventilation requirements provided it’s a good rangehood. Also, being on the western side of your house, unless it is shaded in some way, it is going to get the hot afternoon sun in summer, which is exactly the time you want to be in there cooking, generating extra heat. I would avoid making the window any bigger, and given what you want to do, make it smaller or remove it altogether. In our house design, we put no windows on the western side.
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, rangehood will be externally ducted. We just wanted more ventilation.

We actually got the idea of the second kitchen from the display home, so our set up is just a replica of the display. Their window is larger and openable.

Yes, the western sun in the afternoon does worry me slightly.
This is an older thread but we're doing the same but relocating the stove, oven and rangehood to butler's pantry. We have added 2 exhaust fans which will be ducted externally. There will be a splashback window opposite the stove area.
Related
1/10/2023
Pest Proofing Ventilation gaps in brick veneer home

General Discussion

Brass fly wire, you will need to cut it, shape it and jam it into brick slots

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum