Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

DISHWASHER...............2 Drawer

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has a 2 drawer dishwasher.

I have heard through people they are no good but I don't specifically no anyone who has one.
Are they really that bad or is it just word of mouth that they are bad.
Is it possible the new ones are better?
My understanding is that if you wash with just the single drawer, it uses the same amount of water if washing with 1 drawer!

I wonder why people like the 2 drawer - we have a conventional dishwasher and with 2 people, it goes on every 2nd day (I only wash 1 pot or 1 frypan by hand each day)
I thought that the point of them was that they use less water..............
Interesting
Do you mean the F&P ones?
I don't have one but my friend does and she loves hers. Also stayed in a guest house in NZ and they had them there and they were great even though they got a lot of work.

I like the idea of using them for different cycles so they are more efficent.
And also not having to bend down for access. Good for older people.

Once we put the bar in our house, the plan is for the kitchen dishwasher to go out in the bar and we'll buy an F& P dishdrawer for the kitchen.

Jo
We looked at one....didn't like the plastic tubs and didn't seem to fit as much....I can see the efficiency side (power, water)

I understand the ability to being able to put them side by side is more efficient layout, reducing the need to bend down but decided against them....but retrofitting into a existing kitchen would have been a PITA.

Decided against them - went for one that could do separate top/bottom washes - not dismissive of the idea but not sold either.

We also thought that whilst it's more efficient layout.....dishwasher at hip level....means you end up with two cupboards under it which you have to bend down to get into.
Jo and TDL, I was thinking more along the lines of the all in one.....so there is one drawer above the other but I like th idea of not bending down.

I could find some non essentials that I don't really use to go under those drawers. Pots and Pans maybe.... (just kidding I do cook).

I suppose I'm going to have to bend down for somethings in my kitchen so that probably isn't a factor.
Our dishdrawer is sitting in the kitchen waiting to be installed!
Used to have one at work and loved it - not sure if the new models are as good... think they can either be great or lemons (we went the extended warranty option just in case).
Great for small households, and much better ergonomically than a normal dishwasher.
gweluphome
I suppose I'm going to have to bend down for somethings in my kitchen so that probably isn't a factor.

A clever kitchen designer would probably suggest pot drawers under the dishwasher so you wouldn't need to bend down.
Kitchen designers are me and hubby so I don't know about the clever part.
We had one in our previous house and I loved it !!!!! We only used both drawers when entertaining, the top drawer was enough for everyday use. I could fit heaps in ours due the the drawer design. It was the only thing from out old house that I would have loved to have taken with us when we left !
SIL has one (7 years old), and it has broken down quite a bit, her DH is an electrical engineer and so has repaired it himself, so it hasn't cost them $$.

They got a bad review through Choice a while ago, but looking at the latest update on dishwashers (05/08 ) they score quite well. Looking also at the energy and water usage, it says the single drawer does use half the energy and water of the 2 drawer model.
We have a standard dishwasher that has the ability to only wash the top or the bottom but its not a 2 draw style, it looks just standard. I think its a good mix of both worlds as it uses just over 1/2 the normal water to clean just one level.
We don't have one but three of my friends do and they don't like them at all. One friend is trying desperately to break it so she can get a new one
[quote="'chelle"]SIL has one (7 years old), and it has broken down quite a bit, her DH is an electrical engineer and so has repaired it himself, so it hasn't cost them $$.

Thats why I think I have a bad image of them. I have heard this before..... but its good to hear other peoples good experiences. I think thats the problem the old versions have given the new versions a bum wrap.

Maybe the normal one with the top or bottom cycle is a good option also.
My sister mentioned something about the two draw dishwashers that has made me seriously consider them. The idea is to use use one draw and not unpack it once it's clean. As you need clean stuff, take it out of the clean draw. Dirty stuff goes in the other draw. Once the dirty draw is full, run the dishwasher and swap the draw roles.

You never need to unstack a dishwasher again. What do you think of that?
Casa2
My sister mentioned something about the two draw dishwashers that has made me seriously consider them. The idea is to use use one draw and not unpack it once it's clean. As you need clean stuff, take it out of the clean draw. Dirty stuff goes in the other draw. Once the dirty draw is full, run the dishwasher and swap the draw roles.

Yep, that's how my friend does it.
I don't know if I could get any lazier!

hubby would love it though.........he doesn't know how to empty it anyway

So far there has been some good feedback on the drawers I'm quite impressed its not all bad.
'chelle
SIL has one (7 years old), and it has broken down quite a bit, her DH is an electrical engineer and so has repaired it himself, so it hasn't cost them $$. They got a bad review through Choice a while ago.

I was going to say exactly the same thing. My d/w is F&P and I've had the tech out 3 times( and $600 later
). Most recently he told me it's on it's last legs and it's the same age as above
My mum has only one drawer installed, had it for about 5-7 years and it's excellent. Has only broken once and that was a pipe blockage easily fixed by a plumber.

She has a drawer underneath with pots in it.
Casa2

That's how my SIL wanted to use it - in theory, but her DH can't get the hang of the system. She even made little magnets so he could tell which draw was being used for what, but he's not really a kitchen type of man
Related
4/05/2024
Mixed drawer sizes next to each other

Building A New House

put the 2 draw set directly under the cooktop and the 3 draw set either side for balance

31/01/2024
Bosch dishwasher

General Discussion

I am installing a new Bosch SMU4HTS01A built under dushwasher. I have 2 questions. What is the function of the metal strip about 500mm long x 60mm wide the tell you to…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum