Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Hideaway bin

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I know this has been discussed in the forum a few times but I am hoping for someone to post a picture of their hideaway bin that is attached to the cupboard door under the sink so that you only have to open the door and the bins will slide out with it.

Our kitchen mob is to use KK4F hideaway bin (see pic below) which means that you have to open the cupboard door and then access the bins via a handle pull which I am not liking.

Is KK6F (pictured below) can be used to be attached to the cupboard door?

Below is another model but I am thinking that the above can be installed the same way. (ie just have to be side mounted and use door brackets)

Much appreciated if you can post photos please..

Cheers!

Only problem with the floor mounted like shown in the picture is you cant get it in soft close. If you want soft close you will need to go with the shelf mount.
The bin shown only just fits under the sink plumbing so there was no option for the shelf mounted soft close bin.

They are a good option for under sink use. Definitely get the door mount option not the handle pull. There's nothing worse than having to open the door and then pull out the bin.
chippy

Only problem with the floor mounted like shown in the picture is you cant get it in soft close. If you want soft close you will need to go with the shelf mount.
The bin shown only just fits under the sink plumbing so there was no option for the shelf mounted soft close bin.

They are a good option for under sink use. Definitely get the door mount option not the handle pull. There's nothing worse than having to open the door and then pull out the bin.

Cheers for the pics chippy! Very much appreciated. Will talk to our kitchen guy about this.

I am going to be very honest here, all those bins above are cheap and nasty. The runners are 30 years old and are not very smooth and will fail.

Is there any option in your kitchen design to have a proper bin cabinet? Gone are the days of all bins being under sinks they are way to small and far to restrictive.

Below are the bins I suggest.

They are available with Blum Antaro, Intivo or LegraBox sides and come with softclose runners that support 65kg! They are available to suit 450, 500 and 600mm cabinets. They do also have smaller bins to fit 300mm cabinets. You can also get an optional servo drive kit that allows the bin to electronically open with the lightest of touches. I have the exact setup with servo drive in my kitchen and its amazing, the servo drive really makes so much easier.

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/VTSS350/media/WBPB5064_1_zpsga3fy7jx.jpg.htmlhttp://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/VTSS350/600mmPullboy_zpsa2txjsqz.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/VTSS350/WBPB5064_1_zpsga3fy7jx.jpg
@CEK, That's the reason why we had to have the bin under the sink, we don't have a drawer to house the bin. In our first kitchen design, the bins were supposed to be in the drawer under the oven (see pic) but that's too far from the sink. And I don't think we are prepared to convert an area of drawers under the kitchen bench just to be used for bins.

The hideaway bins are nasty? It costs like $400++ for 2X15L bins.

We're pretty happy with our kitchen design except for the bins. Who would have thought that. Or I guess it's just me. My partner doesn't have any issues with opening the bin himself.

twylamc
@CEK, That's the reason why we had to have the bin under the sink, we don't have a drawer to house the bin. In our first kitchen design, the bins were supposed to be in the drawer under the oven (see pic) but that's too far from the sink. And I don't think we are prepared to convert an area of drawers under the kitchen bench just to be used for bins.

The hideaway bins are nasty? It costs like $400++ for 2X15L bins.

We're pretty happy with our kitchen design except for the bins. Who would have thought that. Or I guess it's just me. My partner doesn't have any issues with opening the bin himself.

Well unfortunately it seems like you don't have any option then.
Be aware that the smaller cheaper bins struggle to work well after time with a door mounted to them. They have cheap runners that need to control not only the weight of your garbage but also the weight of a door mounted to it.
Edit: I love our kitchen mob! Because I am still not happy about opening the door and then needing to open the bin, they will do the rest of the kitchen first. They will leave the sink door until last, put a test door with door mounted bin and will ask me to come over to see how it feels when you pull it. Then make the decision.

Not sure what kind of plumbing you have under the sink, you may try to use the Franke Spazio plumbing kit to tuck all the pipe to the back of your cabinet and use an approximately 45cm deep drawer to put the bins in. The gap behind the drawer should be enough for the pipe to fit through. Ikea has a similar set up and they use Blum drawers and servo drive.
We have redesigned our kitchen to accommodate a separate bin drawer despite my partner feeling strongly against it. He calls it the idiot bin. He might be right but don't care as I am happy about it. Lol!

I have the $400 bin drawer. It stupid expensive but I'm glad we got it as a bin detracts from a flashy new kitchen. I took advise and put it at the entry point of the kitchen to make it easy access when you have a hand full of rubbish. Ours is a soft close drawer style.

Craigasaurus
I have the $400 bin drawer. It stupid expensive but I'm glad we got it as a bin detracts from a flashy new kitchen. I took advise and put it at the entry point of the kitchen to make it easy access when you have a hand full of rubbish. Ours is a soft close drawer style.

Do you have a photo Craigasaurus?

Just looking this topic up as it's the first time I have really thought about something like this. Never actually seen one before.

On the new build we are looking at, we have an island bench with a microwave space under it, with pot drawer under that. 600mm I believe.
We won't be using the microwave space as the microwave will go in the pantry. so I'm wondering if these fit in that microwave space I mentioned, or would it be better to have the pot drawer deleted to get the height?
No fussed on the pot drawer as we have plenty of other options.

Hope that made sense and thanks in advance for any feedback given.
Hi rattleAU. Firstly, I would pick the bin size and how many you want. Then you can decide if you need to use the entire space.

See below for some dimensions for hideaway bins.

In our build, we have incorporated 2X20L bins from the above list. Below is our kitchen layout with the bins.

We used the entire drawer for the bins but it is only 350mm wide. 600m wide might be a bit big or for me a waste of space just for bins. But anyway, still up to you and how you want to use it (ie you may want more than 2 bins etc.)

rattleAU
Just looking this topic up as it's the first time I have really thought about something like this. Never actually seen one before.

On the new build we are looking at, we have an island bench with a microwave space under it, with pot drawer under that. 600mm I believe.
We won't be using the microwave space as the microwave will go in the pantry. so I'm wondering if these fit in that microwave space I mentioned, or would it be better to have the pot drawer deleted to get the height?
No fussed on the pot drawer as we have plenty of other options.

Hope that made sense and thanks in advance for any feedback given.

I would have the pot drawer deleted and use the entire 600mm wide cabinet for a proper bin system. Trust me once you have used the top end bin systems you will never go back to the cheap ones!
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum