Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Reusing 1970's timber cabinetry in new kitchen makeover

Page 1 of 1
Hi we have an existing kitchen with amazing solid timber cabinetry (think its blackwood or something of that ilk) Hate the thought of dumping this old beauty and related cost for a cheaper version (in both price and style). The house has been very dark (mission brown) and whilst we have managed to lighten with paint and a vinyl floor tile (grey concrete look alike) Am thinking of painting the doors of some of the cupboards (yes white) and mixing old with new .... in some way. The appliance wall I think will need to be replaced completely to allow for different configuration and I want drawers wherever possible
(old age ... much easier than bending down to back of cupboards). One of my special quirks .... hate door hardware. Given all of above any ideas ... help? Please

Oophs forgot to mention, replacing all appliances .... except perhaps the fischer & pakel dishwasher drawers, and new stone benchtops. Will load a picture ... when I work out how to do it!
What exactly are you asking?

Got a pic of the old kitchen? Might help us with answers.
You could possibly treat the timber doors with a limewash type treatment. The idea is to whiten the timber, but still leave the timber grain. The Feast Watson Liming White is one product you can use to achieve this effect. It behaves like a stain, and then gets finished with a clear coat. It would be a fair bit of work, as you have to strip off all the existing sealing on the timber, but it may be a way to retain an authentic timber look while getting a lighter space.
Oh yeah! What John said. I've used the Feast Watson Liming White ... Its beautiful. Gorgeous colour/tone and you still see the grain of the wood. I used it on a buffet and bookshelf to compliment my travertine (similar colour) dining table. The product I used didn't need varnish. Great idea!

Here you go Winnie ... This is the liming white (I've since added choc brown bits to keep it for my new place -- try to look past that)

Related
31/10/2023
Reusing graywater from bioseptic

General Discussion

Hi, We want to reuse the water for our veggie garden (we're basically using 250L / day for that – so if I can grab some from the bioseptic, it would help us a…

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum